Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Blue Tit Chicks All Died - Advice Wanted

Hi everyone,

At the start of February this year, I put a nest box up. As someone who is new-ish to the world of bird watching and feeding, this was the first time I had done something like this. With this in mind, I made sure to do my research, ensuring that the box was protected from direct sunlight and out of reach of any strong winds. I settled on attaching the box around 2pm up the trunk of a sycamore tree in my garden, along with a camera that I attached in place.
Much to my delight, the box was quickly inspected by a set of blue tits and the first sign of nest building was evident at the start of March. The nest was seemingly complete at the start of April and 9 eggs were then laid from April 10th - April 18th. 6 of these eggs hatched on April 30th, with the remaining 3 on May 1st.
To my dismay, by the morning of May 15th, all the chicks had died. This was a gradual process. First, I noticed the brood dropping from 9 to 8 chicks quite early on. A further 3 apiece perished around May 7th and May 10th respectively, leaving 2 remaining chicks. With both chicks reaching the 14th still alive and surviving the night without their Mother, I was hopeful they may fledge. This was unfortunately short lived as the remaining two chicks died the morning of May 15th.
I would like to gauge from anyone whether there is anything I could have done to avoid this? To see all 9 chicks pass away was heartbreaking and I am now questioning whether there is a point of putting a nest box up again next year. I did notice that the male blue tit seemed to stop coming to the nest around the 13th. I also noticed at times issues with the size of food the parents were feeding the chicks (too big) - I would flag that I made sure to only leave small-sized bits of food in the feeders.
Has anyone else had similar cases this year? Has this been a particularly bad year for blue tit chicks survivability? 
Any feedback anyone can offer would be much appreciated. Apologies about the long message.
Michael