Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Blue tit... Can I block access without causing harm?

Just a few days agoI started work on a house to remove and replace fascia boards. Unfortunately on return to site today a blue tit has decided to nest in newly exposed eve and is building nest. I need to cover this in the next week. Any advice please? If she is still building nest, does that mean that she is yet to lay her eggs and therefore I can cover off hole without causing harm? New fascia is Upvc and it is not an option to leave nest site open for next month or two. Thanks 

• No you can't interfere with the nest, it is against the law. From when the first material is taken to build a nest, it has to be left. You can't just remove it to another spot and hope the the Blue Tit will continue to use it, as she will not. You can't remove it whether there are eggs in it or not. You have to wait until the nesting season is over and clear out the nest in the back end.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• The issue is the nest will not be accessible by next week once I put fascia in place. I cannot leave fascia open due to weather up here.... NW Scotland.
  • I know what the Scottish weather can be like as I live at the very top of Scotland, in Caithness. If the nest is built, whether there are eggs or not, then you are breaking the law by replacing the boards and preventing the bird getting in. The last thing you want to do is replace boards with the bird still inside.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.