Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Abandonment

Hi I'm new to the forum and would like to know if anyone can answer a question about my garden blue tit box.I have had a nest since end of April and everything has been going really well with the chicks and parenting skills. Yesterday morning the chicks were fed as usual by both parents, the last feed was 11am. Neither parent has been back to the nest to feed the chicks who are now 14 days old. I expected her to turn up at dusk but neither he nor she has returned this morning. The chicks which are now feathered have survived the night and all day today and do not appear to be distressed but they must be hungry. What do I do, do I leave them to let nature take its course or try to take them to a wildlife centre? Also are there any experiences or reasons why they would abandon their brood so suddenly other than predation. I have been supply constant Meal & Wax worms. I have a camera in the box and wouldappreciate any suggestions. Many thanks.