Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Bird box hole size?

Help needed. I was given a bird box for our garden, but I think the hole is too big. Looking at the average sizes for the entrance hole, ours is to large at 40mm. Is this too big or does it give it a better chance of someone living in it? I have, so far, seen gold finches, blue tits, great tits, a robin or two and a few other smallish birds. What is the best average size to cover the above list of birds, as I could add a plate to the front to make the hole smaller if needed. Thank you in advance for any advice given. Nat8908
  • Hi Nat. I think it depends on what birds you hope to attract. Blue Tits and Great Tits will readily nest in boxes. House Sparrows will too although they seem to prefer to live communally and often seem to prefer crevices under the eaves of houses. AS far as I know Goldfinches don't use nest boxes and Robins if they use them prefer open fronted boxes.

Here's a link about nest boxes and some information about preferred hole sizes.

www.rspb.org.uk/.../making.aspx

Adding a plate to reduce the hole size for you preferred species can also help to deter woodpeckers (if you have any in the area) which will attack boxes if the hear the youngsters cheeping.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Hi

Blue tits-  1 inch

Great Tits -  1 inch and an 8th

House Sparrow - 1 inch and a half

S

For advice about Birding, Identification,field guides,  binoculars, scopes, tripods,  etc - put 'Birding Tips'   into the search box

• Hi, I have done  bit of surfing on the net and what i can find is:

Gold Finches: Don't nest in boxes prefer bushes and Trees

Bluetits, Coal tits and Marsh tits: 25mm hole (i have a blue tit in mine atm so hoping it will nest next year) - will check its hole size.

Great Tit & Tree Sparrow:28mm

Robin & Pied wagtail: Small box, 100mm high front pannel rest open

Wren: 140mm high front pannel

Spotted fly catcher: prefer low 60mm front box

House Sparrow:32mm

Starlings: 45mm

I hope this helps, and wish you good luck :)