Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Hawthorn

I am thinking of planting a new hedge and thought about hawthorn. I have never noticed these being sold at garden centres, but this is probably because I haven't been looking. Anyone know if you can get reasonably established ones, and how long they take to grow? I had a beauty at my previous house, but it was 50 or more years old. I'm afraid I can't wait that long!

• Hi BirdMum

I'm not aware of a hawthorn variety that is regularly used in this way (and fascinated if someone wants to put me right). I also fear that giving it a go with a 'bog standard' hawthron would require a lot of pruning, which would eat right into the flowering and fruiting potential of it.

My advice would be to go for next best, and use one of the pyracanthas. They're brilliant all-rounders - great for flowers for bees, then the berries for birds, plus all-year cover. And of course many varieties love nothing more than leaning against a wall where they'll need minimal pruning.

Hope that helps

Adrian

• I've got a twenty foot hawthorn in my garden which the birds love, it grew from a little twig, well thats what it looked like before I let it grow. Last year I planted a mixed hedge at the end of the garden, conifer, wild rose and hawthorn and also a crab apple at the opposite side to the hawthorn. Think thats enough for now, hmmm maybe not., wouldn't mind some more wild rose and - - - - - - - - - oh well :-)

• Hey there!! I really don't have any idea about hawthorn hedges. But I love planting hedges. A few years back I've purchased some hedges which were pre-matured ones. I just had to plant them, that's it. Such garden hedges just need little maintenance with regular pruning and frequent watering.