Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Solution to Slugs

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations for slug control. My garden is surrounded by houses that have cats and because of this, we do not get any birds or hedgehogs in our garden. Obviously the micro ecosystem is completely out of balance and the slug and snail population in my garden is unbearable. They get in to everything in large numbers and do an extensive amount of damage. 

I have tried nematodes, copper, beer, removing them by hand and so many other natural approaches that I have lost track. Is there anything at all I can do about this problem?

I am also based in Scotland so get a considerable amount of rain which means there are never any long dry periods to keep the slugs underground. 

• I feel your pain as all my seedings were getting munched on...although the beer traps (the ones that you sink into the ground) have worked for us and also a patrol EVERY night around midnight has paid off.

We had several of the slug trap bags but noticed the magpies had easy access to them or they were enjoying a tipple so got rid of them.

Not sure what else can be done ...sorry ;-)

(Pardon the Scottish Accent)