Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

New Rowan Trees & garden area (for Higgy ! )

Here ya go Higgy,    I've included several photos of our garden area and the placement of our new Rowan Trees, hopefully the Winter Thrushes may find the berries next season and even a passing Waxing or two, or three   lol        The trees are already quite mature at around 3 metres high and we have given them a good start with fresh compost, top-soil, bonemeal and root-grow, plus all staked securely and we are now in process of getting trunk protectors as the Cyrils are targeting one in particular !

I have tried to mark with arrrows where the Rowans are planted 

this one is in the feeding station area

One next to the Summerhouse .............

you can see the thick wooden stake and rubber tie.

One by the front gate .....

one in the side garden area ..........

and a few pics to show you the garden  including pond area

These are the Oak trunk slices and logs which we hope to use for a new stumpery area

Camelia in flower :)

Pond area   (waterfall is currently switched off to give the Wren chance to forage  ! )  she/he was there this morning and also a Grey Wagtail !

This smaller rockery/ water area was already in situ when we bought the house 4 years ago but we have added the planting to it

ignore the black plastic tub  lol    we are constantly gardening and this contains some small plants we dug out when planted the Rowans,  they have to go back in the garden ........somewhere ! 

It's a large area to keep tidy    lol    and no wonder we have so many Cyrils with this many Oak/Beech trees

this is looking towards front driveway area

Regards, Hazel 

• They are a pair and even though its dark now they are on the pond in the corner so don't think they are going anywhere tonight !  lol     I just hope Mr. Fox doesn't come by tonight.

Regards, Hazel 

• Oh Hazy your garden is stunning and something that my dreams are made of LOL.

I'm so glad that you got the trees in and I have to say they look lovely against the backdrop of all the other trees and waht a lovely place to watch your feeders also!

You could open your garden for the yellow book, I reckon it would give lots of people a lot of pleasure!

Thanks for sharing it with us it is lovely!

Best

Higgy

• Thanks Higgy, at least you have a better idea of the outside area here as its often hard to describe a garden without pics.    How did the day go with the pond ?  hope you have some help to lay the pond liner.     BTW, latest update ..... you may get surprise visitors to your pond as look what turned up this afternoon to the garden and pond lol

Regards, Hazel 

• Hi Hazy. Your garden is beautiful. Your days must go something like...Get up..Work in the garden..Go to bed. Truly stunning and I really hope you continue to post photos of it as the year goes on.

Paul

My bird photos HERE

• Thank you Paul, it certainly keeps Mike and I occupied but thankfully, we both enjoy gardening and being outdoors.  Just hope the weather warms up a little as the last few days its been pretty cloudy and breezy, not to mention cool !  I will try get some more pics once the Japanese Acers come out in leaf although that won't be for a couple of months yet.

Regards, Hazel 

• Love your garden Hazy

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Thanks catlady, since we bought the house 4 years ago we have worked to try improve the garden as it was quite plain before with mainly Laurel shrubs.  Mike and I both like gardening so it helps but its like a never ending project  lol

Regards, Hazel 

• Love the ducks and they are probably thinking that they have won the lottery being first in that pond and garden!! LOL

I read that like me you have only been there four years and again we have both been developing our gardens like crazy in this space of time!

It really is fantastic when you literally have a blank canvas and you can just do what you want. On top of this it's always evolving and you certainly have enough space to keep it evolving on a grand scale!

Well done Hazy your hard work really is paying off! QUACK QUACK!!!

Best

Higgy

• LOL Higgy,  they appeared back in the garden today so I think they may be staying for a while ...... how good are you at making duck houses  ROFL !!   I have a new project for Mike shortly !   will upload more pics and video clip of them later on the Mallard thread.

Regards, Hazel 

• Lovely garden Hazy and thanks for all the photos.  It really must take some looking after, but you obviously do it very well.

Annie

Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better.

Einstein