Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

New Rowan Trees & garden area (for Higgy ! )

Here ya go Higgy,    I've included several photos of our garden area and the placement of our new Rowan Trees, hopefully the Winter Thrushes may find the berries next season and even a passing Waxing or two, or three   lol        The trees are already quite mature at around 3 metres high and we have given them a good start with fresh compost, top-soil, bonemeal and root-grow, plus all staked securely and we are now in process of getting trunk protectors as the Cyrils are targeting one in particular !

I have tried to mark with arrrows where the Rowans are planted 

this one is in the feeding station area

One next to the Summerhouse .............

you can see the thick wooden stake and rubber tie.

One by the front gate .....

one in the side garden area ..........

and a few pics to show you the garden  including pond area

These are the Oak trunk slices and logs which we hope to use for a new stumpery area

Camelia in flower :)

Pond area   (waterfall is currently switched off to give the Wren chance to forage  ! )  she/he was there this morning and also a Grey Wagtail !

This smaller rockery/ water area was already in situ when we bought the house 4 years ago but we have added the planting to it

ignore the black plastic tub  lol    we are constantly gardening and this contains some small plants we dug out when planted the Rowans,  they have to go back in the garden ........somewhere ! 

It's a large area to keep tidy    lol    and no wonder we have so many Cyrils with this many Oak/Beech trees

this is looking towards front driveway area

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks Alan,  I feel pleased we have got the Rowans in now so they get a good chance to root in ready for the latter months, it would be nice to get the winter thrushes and Waxwings visiting although I like the Rowans just for their attractive appearance with late red berries to an otherwise plain Laurel background.  Suns trying to come out again but its been breezy and cloudy on and off today, feeling quite chilly :(   BTW, the Sparrowhawk has been in 4 times today, swooping across the garden and at one stage landing in the Oak tree for a few seconds, pity I did not get any decent photos.  It doesn't seem to hang around for long.  

Regards, Hazel 

• lol,  its always the way when something appears in the garden that you want to photograph,  this afternoon I spotted the Sprawk as Mike stood up at the same time from his chair saying there was a buzzard in the distance and me calling to him, move out of the way quick ......... so I could grab a pic of the Sprawk when it landed in the Oak tree lol, it was too late by the time Mike unblocked the my view from the window  !!   Neither of us had a good sighting in the end of either the Buzzard or the Sparrowhawk  lol

Regards, Hazel 

• What a fabulous garden you have Hazy. It must keep you busy looking after it.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• Thanks Hazel, it certainly keeps us occupied !  good job we are both retired otherwise we'd have little time to keep things in order.  You can see why the Cyrils love this garden - plenty of large trees for them !

Regards, Hazel 

• Looking good, Hazy. If they don't attract winter thrushes nothing will.

Your garden looks absolutely fabulous. The Camellia is gorgeous.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Thanks TJ,   BTW, you are not going to believe what has flown into the garden this afternoon  LOL !!!   Nothing rare I hasten to add but I couldn't stop laughing !     post to follow shortly  !

Regards, Hazel 

• The mind boggles. LOL

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Hint ......  "they" go Quack    lol

Regards, Hazel 

• Daffy duck?

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Rofl @ Alan  !!      yes we have two Daffy Mallard Ducks on the pond, still here now.    I know nothing about ducks or where they roost at night !  answer on a postcard please lol  

Regards, Hazel