• An excellent day out - Carpentry, planting and plenty of pizza

As part of our nationwide Volunteers’ Week running from 1 to 7 June , today’s blog is about a group of volunteers from PricewaterhouseCoopers, the second largest professional services firm in the world, and their day of volunteering at Chorlton...
  • Wild adventures on an island rich in wildlife

As part of our nationwide Volunteers’ Week running from 1 to 7 June, today’s blog is brought to you by Davene Everett about her experiences volunteering on Havergate Island. I started volunteering on Havergate after a conversation with...
  • Local heroes

As part of our nationwide Volunteers’ Week running from 1 to 7 June, today’s blog focuses on the 10 th anniversary of the RSPB Torbay & South Devon Team. The Team was formed in 2008 so is coming up for its 10th anniversary this year...
  • A huge thank you to our volunteers

RSPB Head of Volunteering Alan Murray gives a heartfelt thank you to all of our volunteers, without whom we could not do all the work we do... Did you know that today is the first day of national Volunteers' Week 2018 ? The 1 to 7 June is the annual...
  • National Volunteers’ Week 2018 is coming…

National Volunteers' week runs from 1 to 7 June each year. During this annual national celebration of all that volunteers do we are taking the opportunity to say ‘thank you’ by talking about their fantastic contribution and sharing some...
  • Five volunteers, some recycled wood and hey presto – one RSPB event stand!

David Reeves, a retired teacher, tells us about the volunteering work he is doing alongside four other enthusiastic volunteers on the RSPB event stand for the BBC Countryfile Live show, taking place at Blenheim Palace (2-5 August 2018). Thursday;...
  • What Volunteering is right for me?

Volunteering your time and talents to help others, whether it be an individual, organisation or company is both hugely rewarding for the volunteer and greatly appreciated by the recipient. In this day and age the gift of time is increasingly precious...
  • Six unforgettable months with #WildCardiff

Lucy Macnamara discovered the joys of volunteering as a Community Engagement Voluntary Intern... Out of all the amazing things I’ve done, experienced and had the pleasure of being involved in this is by far the most challenging. How do I sum...
  • What volunteering can do for you, and what you can give back

‘As soon as I walked in to my first meeting, I immediately thought that this was something that needed to be shared with a wider audience. The group holds some fascinating talks and walks and I knew a lot more people would be interested in attending...
  • My last ‘end-of-term’ message...

Dear colleagues, friends, fellow volunteers and supporters of the RSPB With my spell as Council Chairman complete, this is the last ‘end-of-term’ message that I’ll be writing. It’s been a fantastic five years – made...
  • 5 reasons Residential Volunteering is a must!

Residential Volunteering opens up a whole world of opportunities, from meeting new people and getting closer to nature to boosting your CV and gaining new skills. Here, Glasgow University student Lorna Beattie tells us all about her experience at our...
  • Volunteering with RSPB Cymru

Guest blog by RSPB Cymru Volunteer, Sian Bettley My name is Sian Bettley. I am 14 years old and I have just finished my first three months volunteering with RSPB Cymru. I haven’t volunteered for a charity or organisation before but the RSPB was...
  • Wildlife Supporter Advisor Volunteer - join the team!

They say variety is the spice of life, well this (perhaps, rather unsurprisingly) also applies to a typical day with the Wildlife team of the Supporter Services department here at the Lodge (RSPB Headquarters) in Sandy, Bedfordshire. Despite our mixture...
  • Inspiring the Next Generation to Save Nature

Aldi Schools Outreach Project - connecting children to nature via our fabulous volunteers! Can you name every flower in your garden? Do you recognise bird calls? Can you spot the difference between a frog and a toad? The sad truth is that many of these...
  • GET INVOLVED: Other ways of helping nature

Last September we advertised some opportunities on the Countryside Job Service website called “It’s not just about getting muddy at the RSPB” which could have easily been written today at RSPB Cors Ddyga! As well as plenty of outdoor...
  • Volunteering at RSPB Cors Ddyga

guest blog by RSPB Cymru Volunteer, John Lamb My name is John, I've been volunteering for the RSPB since I took early retirement in 2001. However, months before retiring I decided to study the environment through the Open University and to gain...
  • GET INVOLVED: New volunteering opportunities at RSPB Cors Ddyga

Yesterday we told you a bit about the story and achievements at RSPB Cors Ddyga (formally knows as RSPB Malltraeth Marsh). If you would like to refresh your mind, please have a look to the last blog here: http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/getinvolved...
  • A new chapter at RSPB Cors Ddyga

Last week we celebrated our new visitor trails at RSPB Cors Ddyga (formally known as RSPB Malltraeth Marsh). Until now, the species on this tranquil reserve have been vulnerable and the pathways slightly inaccessible for visitors. However, many of the...
  • Jonni on the spot!

Jonni Price, 22, spent last summer as Conwy nature reserve’s first Learning Intern, a volunteer role leading groups of schoolchildren on their curriculum-focused visits. Now, he’s joined the staff team at Conwy, though continues to help with...
  • Volunteering at Minsmere - Birds, Bugs and Brilliant Bitterns!

I first started visiting Minsmere a few years ago as a way to unwind from the week of desk-bound calls, emails and meetings that make up my job. It was a peaceful place to stretch the legs, chat to like-minded people and full of interesting things to...
  • Volunteering helped me change direction

Stacey is the second of our guest bloggers this week who moved from volunteering to working with the RSPB. Stacey tells us what happened when she volunteered whilst looking for a change of career. Emily Sinclair – Volunteer Development...
  • From Meerkats to Minsmere: gaining confidence with an unexplored age group

Anna John took the opportunity to volunteer and improve her skills at the same time, in her guest blog she tells us about how her volunteering is giving her confidence. I’m Anna and have been the Schools on Reserves volunteer Learning Intern...
  • Why we love volunteering at Sandwell Valley by Jake and Hannah

Who says you can’t make a difference when you’re young? Jake and Hannah Groves tell us how it is for young people volunteering at their favourite reserve. Me and my sister love being volunteers at RSPB Sandwell Valley. We get...
  • Why volunteering to Save Nature is so satisfying

Guest blogger Helen Whitall tells us why Hedge Laying became one of her most satisfying ways to volunteer I’ve been volunteering on the Exe Estuary reserves for three years, since leaving my job in London and moving down to Exeter for my husband’s...
  • Brand new Group Residential Volunteering opportunity at our largest UK reserve!

Exciting new opportunity at RSPB Forsinard Flows RSPB Forsinard is the RSPB’s largest reserve...and we love to share the experience of this fascinating and vast peatland with as many visitors and volunteers as possible...but we have a problem...