• A special tribute from a special volunteer!

Hilary Brooker-Carey, one of our many thousands of volunteers recently went the extra mile, using her time and experience on one of our reserves to produce an eye-catching display...   Coquet Island, located less than a mile from the Northumberl...
  • Local groups - picture perfect!

Your RSPB Local Group is the friendly face of the RSPB in the community. From inspiring talks with wildlife experts to nature walks for all ages and abilities, it’s a great way to engage with nature near you. In this last Local Groups special, ...
  • Local groups - a new perspective on a historic city

Your RSPB Local Group is the friendly face of the RSPB in the community and a great way to engage with nature near you. Over the next few weeks we'll be taking a closer look at RSPB Local Groups. This week Alasdair Mckee talks about one of the mo...
  • Local groups - a fantastic way to spend my time

Your RSPB Local Group is the friendly face of the RSPB in the community and a great way to engage with nature near you. Over the next few weeks we'll be taking a closer look at RSPB Local Groups. This week we chat to award-winning blogger Sarah H...
  • Local Groups - making a difference for nature

Your RSPB Local Group is the friendly face of the RSPB in the community and a great way to engage with nature near you. Over the next few weeks we'll be taking a closer look at RSPB Local Groups. This week Andre Farrar looks back at the many ways Loc...
  • Countryside Jobs Service - 25 years of Volunteering change

Countryside Jobs Service have helped the RSPB get in contact with amazing volunteers for many years. To mark their 25 year anniversary we asked them to tell us how the volunteering 'landscape' has changed for them in that time... Amount of Vo...
  • Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme Volunteer experience

Write up from Finley, a DoE volunteer at Hazeley Heath I started volunteering at Hazeley Heath over a year ago for my Bronze Duke of Edinburgh award. My Mum and I cut gorse for hours in freezing, snowy conditions, unable to get a fire started, but (w...
  • Looking Forward: Corporate volunteering update, thank you HSBC UK!

In 2018 the RSPB chose to shine a light on some of our fantastic staff volunteers from PriceWaterhouseCoopers at Chorlton Water Park, Manchester. This group of 13 formed one of dozens of corporate work parties across the UK each year that the RSPB re...
  • Overcoming adversity through volunteering

Welcome back and thank you for joining us on our last National Volunteers’ week blog on the 8th! -because who says Friday has to be the end. Although National Volunteers’ week is a wonderful way to thank our volunteers, it’s importa...
  • Volunteering: One of the best chapters of my life

Today’s Volunteers’ Week blog comes from Robin Brown, who describes his time volunteering at Portmore Lough as “immensely rewarding”… My volunteering with RSPB began in April 2012. I had retired from business sometime p...
  • I'm 13 and I volunteer - age is no barrier!

Today’s Volunteers’ Week blog comes from thirteen-year-old Magnus, one of our youngest volunteers. For Magnus, volunteering has definitely been a journey of discovery. From wasp spiders to the Big Wild Sleepout, be inspired by his wild ad...
  • Connecting children with nature

To celebrate Volunteer’s Week, Wendy Owen shares her story of volunteering for the RSPB as part of our schools’ outreach project through the RSPB ALDI Connecting Children to Nature partnership.   This project has given me the chance...
  • Volunteering: good for health and wellbeing

RSPB volunteer Tim Bishop relishes the opportunity to do something for the wildlife he loves, but it’s not just wildlife that benefits from his volunteering. In today’s blog for Volunteering Week, Tim explains how volunteering has helped ...
  • Now we have this fabulous experience in our retirement

Retiree Janine Brown Jones shares the role of Volunteer Coordinator for RSPB Aire Valley with Chris Partridge. Read today’s Volunteering Week blog to find out why she thinks volunteering is fabulous...  Chris and I “role-share&rdquo...
  • Ten wonderful years of volunteering

As part of National Volunteers’ Week, today’s blog was written by 19-year-old Dominik Reynolds, who started volunteering with the RSPB at just eight years old. Read on to find out why Dom thinks volunteering helped him get a place at Bris...
  • Birding from Beginner to Novice

It’s finally here. Welcome to Day one of National Volunteer’s week. In recognition of the event we will have a brand-new look to celebrating our volunteers webpage. National Volunteers’ week gives us the opportunity to say thank you...
  • Since volunteers’ week begins tomorrow we have a treat for you! A behind the scenes look at the RSPB council…

A trustee may not be the first thing you think of when picturing a volunteer, but they play an extremely important role in the running of an organisation. At the RSPB we have a Council of up to 18 trustees who decide how the organisation is run. Coun...
  • Volunteer Case Study – South & West Scotland

My first introduction to the RSPB was through my postgraduate student placement at RSPB Scotland as a science communication assistant. It was my love of nature that led me to make RSPB Scotland my first choice for my placement and it did not disappoi...
  • Calling all RSPB Cymru volunteers! Are you interested in becoming a nature policy advocate?

We are delighted to have received funding from the Welsh Government to explore the potential of involving volunteers to increase our ability to engage with a greater range and number of nature policy issues throughout Wales. By doing this, we ho...
  • Minibeasts, allotments and giant cabbages all in a days work - a Volunteer Community Engagement Intern tale!

Emily Panter was initially hesitant about her new role with the RSPB... If you get the chance to volunteer for the community engagement internship with RSPB then do it! There has never been a better time to do something than now. I can honestly...
  • BBC Countryfile Live: a fantastic team effort creates an impressive display

How a group of intrepid volunteers helped create our stand for the Countryfile Live event... It all began back in February at Hope Farm with five volunteers briefed and ready to start building our main event feature for the stand, which came to...
  • Health Concerns? Do Yourself A Favour. Volunteer!

Natalie Harrison takes a look at how Volunteering with us can have many positive impacts on your health... Making a difference lies at the heart of what it is to be a volunteer. Undoubtedly, we have a positive effect on the lives of those around...
  • Volunteer - And Fly High In Your Career!

Natalie Harrison looks at some of the many ways in which volunteering with the RSPB can benefit your career... Sharing is caring - we all know that. But did you ever stop to think that volunteering could be more than simply a selfless activity?...
  • One step closer to my dream job

As part of our nationwide Volunteers’ Week running from 1 to 7 June, today’s blog was written by Laura Humphries, a Marketing & Events Assistant volunteer based in Northern Ireland, about her placement at the RSPB. As part of my...
  • Puffineers and puffarazzi: the snap-happy volunteers helping puffins

As part of our nationwide Volunteers’ Week running from 1 to 7 June , today’s blog is brought to you by Georgia Longmoor on her experience working on Project Puffin. Last spring we set out to find out why puffins are now as vulnerable to...