• How one day’s volunteering helped Tern Island in 2016

Tern Island provides a vital refuge for ground-nesting species, especially the Little Tern. Guest blogger Anne Hyatt shows how just one day’s volunteering can make all the difference. Pagham Harbour is renowned for its breeding shorebird...
  • Volunteering inspired me to work with people

The RSPB in Wales is passionate about volunteering, so much so that it has led to some of our volunteers joining the volunteer department as staff members to help us continue our volunteer work across the country. Stacey Baldwin shares how she became...
  • I rediscovered happiness as a volunteer ranger

Volunteer ranger Ruth Lawton started volunteering to help nature and ended up helping herself too. Here is Ruth’s story. I am a volunteer ranger at RSPB Sandwell Valley, which is a small corner of countryside in a very large Country Park, in...
  • We are celebrating National Volunteers’ week 2017

National Volunteers Week reminds us of the importance of saying thank you to our amazing RSPB volunteers. Alan Murray, Head of Volunteering and Employee Engagement picks up the mantle and gets us started... It’s National Volunteers' Week...
  • Fabian Harrison - a young volunteer's tale!

I first started volunteering for the RSPB in the late summer of 2014 as part of the Duke of Edinburgh’s scheme. I had visited Strumpshaw Fen many times before as a child, but never knew the complexities of conservation management and the runnings...
  • Swift and decisive action

As part of our lead-up to Volunteers Week, we'll be hearing from some of the volunteering champions who give their time and effort into aiding the RSPB's cause, and giving nature a home. Today we hear from Louise, and her efforts to help protect...
  • RSPB Local Groups - valued and valuable!

The RSPB may be the largest conservation charity in the country, but our national (and even international) scope doesn't mean we ignore individuals and communities. And key to this are our Local Groups - volunteer run, community-centric groups of...
  • Volunteering Oscars 2016 - And the winners are...

Meet the inspiring, ingenious and energetic bunch of volunteers who are the recipients of this year's RSPB President's Awards. Our President's Awards go to volunteers who really have gone above and beyond in their support for the RSPB....
  • Tree-Mallow Bashing on the Isle of Fidra

A closer look at just one of the many volunteering opportunities available via IFLI and the RSPB Fidra work parties are aimed at removing the invasive plant tree mallow from the island. We do this because it grows so tall it prevents nesting puffins...
  • Inner Forth Landscape Initiative Historical Recorder

Researching the area around the Inner Forth can prove fascinating, as volunteers and staff recall: Vol Quote, Ian Middleton : I have been volunteering as a local history researcher and writer for over five years in total. My most recent study...
  • Inner Forth Landscape Initiative Nature Recorder

Volunteers and staff describe the delights of working as a Nature Recorder for IFLI Vol Quote 1, Steve & Linda : ‘As IFLI Nature Recording volunteers, we get a buzz from visiting our 'patch', from increasing our knowledge in identifying...
  • It's not just about getting muddy at the RSPB

With 12,000 regular volunteers from all walks of life, RSPB volunteers give a gift of time of over 900,000 hours annually. As well as plenty of outdoor and practical volunteering roles including reserve work parties or the very popular Residential Volunteering...
  • My first Residential Volunteering experience - Loch Garten Osprey Project

At the end of July this year, my wife and I took a trip to Loch Garten in Scotland, volunteering with the RSPB as part of their Osprey Project. I have always been interested in wildlife, but am far from an expert, and didn’t know of any way that...
  • A love of nature: bridging the generation divide

Attenborough may have celebrated his 90th birthday this year by abseiling down a building, but last weekend I met another nature-loving nonagenarian who I’m certain could give Sir David a run for his money. Just before Springwatch wrapped up...
  • Residential volunteering at Mersehead can lead to even greater things...

Residential volunteering at Mersehead is not only a great experience but can give you a great 'foot up' for a career in conservation, as two of its former volunteers explain... “My first experience of long-term residential volunteering...
  • Mersehead's Residential volunteers sing it's praises!

“I have already gained a lot of valuable experience from volunteering at Mersehead. I wanted to volunteer somewhere with the potential for coastal birds, and couldn’t have been given more opportunities to survey them. To top the beautiful...
  • Residential volunteering at Mersehead

Mersehead forms part of the RSPB’s residential volunteering scheme and every year we are visited by people from all walks of life, all looking for new experiences and the opportunity to gain skills from working on our nature reserves. Our short...
  • Rathlin Island - Residential Volunteering on N.Ireland's only inhabited island

Residential Volunteering on Rathlin, Northern Ireland's only inhabited island is a truly unique and unforgettable experience . The sea stacks full of breeding birds including, puffins kittiwakes and guillemots along with the upside down West Lighthouse...
  • Pat Hart and the joys of volunteering at Rainham Marshes

Pat Hart Pat is one of the walk leaders here at Rainham Marshes. Pat shows visitors around the reserve telling them about the history, and sharing some of his fantastic wildlife knowledge too! Pat regularly takes visitors of all ages and abilities...
  • Ian Bloys describes the pleasures of volunteering at Rainham Marshes

Ian Bloys Ian has been volunteering here at Rainham for a number of years now. Ian helps out the wardens doing practical conservation work out on the reserve. We have a brilliant team of volunteers who help us keep the reserve fantastic for wildlife...
  • Rainham Marshes "Golden Couple" speak of the joys of volunteering!

Ede and George are a couple that have been volunteering at Rainham Marshes together for about four years. They help look after the gardens and in the cafe too. They have a combined age of 172! My wife and myself regard the Rainham Marshes as an oasis...
  • Staff at Rainham Marshes sing the praises of their Volunteers!

It’s been said many times before, but volunteers really are crucial to the work that the RSPB does. Here at Rainham, annual volunteer hours typically equate to an extra 10 full time members of staff. And many of our volunteers have been with us...
  • Homes as Gardens, Gardens for Homes!

Leaky baths, bug hotel wardrobes and 'bog' gardens.... All in a day’s Volunteering! The RSPB 2015 show feature at BBC Gardeners World, Birmingham NEC, aimed to inspire the visitors with quirky ideas for DIY homes for nature and show them...
  • Presidents Awards - recognising our fabulous volunteers!

The Presidents Awards, given out at the RSPB's prestigious AGM held this year on 10th October, are awarded to our most valued volunteers in recognition of their time given and dedication to the work of the RSPB. Whilst we value all our volunteers...
  • Fabulous at forty!

RSPB Scotland’s Northern Isles manager, Pete Ellis, praises a local Shetland volunteer for four decades of service and other dedicated volunteers. Last Saturday I had the opportunity to present a good friend of mine with a prestigious accolade...