Osprey Poems

There have been various poems posted on the Loch Garten Osprey threads: here is a new one of mine, to celebrate the fledging of the first youngster on  the Loch Garten nest for 2010--

FLYING IN THE WIND

The gentle morning broke as the sun put out its lissom threads of red and bronze upon the nest-

I felt that today, I was to be as one with this wind which has buffeted  me strongly for days now, and bent our frail bodies to its will.

My brothers tried to move their wings against the skies, but failed to shake themselves from their anchor on the twigs crackling hard beneath our new bright talons.

I raised them, my wings, my reason for being, feeling their feathers soft but brave and powerful, and jumped up, and jumped up again...

I lifted, and felt stronger than before, pushed with my newly strengthened legs, and tried again:  the greedy wind grasped me upwards, and I let it take me up, upwards and above - I was flying at last,  flying so that my breath was almost taken from me in the excitement of flight for the very first time.

As I curved around the nest which had been my only home since I began, I felt with myself the oneness of my being alive, of flying at  long last in Nature's true embrace - I was at Home in the world itself, and nothing could take this from me.

• Thanks again , margobird.  Glad they give you pleasure.

• We at the Osprey Group have been debating how we feel now, knowing that this year unlike previous years, the three young ospreys are going to depart on their migration leaving us unsure of their fates:  they have not been ringed this time (or tagged for being followed by Sat navigation).  Also they have not been officially named.  So we shall never know where they migrate to, or if indeed, they ever return to Scotland.

Here are a few words for the young ospreys, from those of us who feel a little lost now:

F R E E

You are not as I believed,  just mine alone;  you are yourself and unique.
    A 'free spirit' indeed -
    I have been engaged these long weeks in your every move and growth -
    In seeing you change at gasping speed from tiny, wobbly chick, to
    Determined youngster, fighting for survival, to then become
    This proud, many feathered flyer with a relentless eye for prey
    This fearless and all seeing hunter of the gleaming lochs and rivers.

As you prepare to leave the open Scottish skies, perhaps forever,
    I'll have to let you go in my heart and mind also
    Knowing that the circle of Nature is closing once again
    Upon an exciting new beginning.

• Thank you so much, Lindy . I didn't realise there was a poetry 'corner' and hope I haven't missed too many of yours that have been posted on the other forums.  All to be saved and treasured.

• Lindybird just lovely again, I have been trying in mind to compose something all summer but it just does come for me.  You are so clever will enjoy reading all your poems over the winter months and beyond  Thanks so much it sums things up just perfectly.

Margobird

• Another poem to treasure Linda ... thank you, its just lovely!

Joan - avid bird and nature watcher in Northumberland!

Index Thread

• Thank you.   Hope it goes some way to telling of our feelings towards our osprey family this year.

• I have just read this thread. Lindybird, what a talent, I am so impressed, you write beautifully.

Kind regards Jane.

• Hi Lindybird

I was at Loch Garten two weeks ago, I have been visiting every summer for 12 years. Your poems are lovely, the contents remind of the feeling I get each time I visit - a warm special feeling knowning that I have just witnessed something special. You write beautifully. Thank you.

• Thank you for your kind words.  I have never been to Loch Garten, but hope to one day when we are retired & have more time.

Lyndyloo reminds us that we get that 'warm special feeling' when we are able to witness nature in this way. One of the things to treasure in our lives.

• Thanks Linda. Absolutely lovely. Exactly how we feel and hope for these beautiful special birds.