Raven attacking me

Hi,

I'm after some advice, I'll start with a little backstory.

During the summer I started noticing a raven visiting the field where I walk my dog, it was magnificent. I'd never seen one before so was in awe. After seeing it a few times I wanted to take a photo to show my partner.

I walked a bit closer to get a good shot but then it flew towards me. I took a few steps back and it landed in front of me and just boldly started walking towards me. I got a little bit freaked out so my dog ran towards it to ward it off me. Well that caused chaos. It took flight and started swooping above our heads and chased me off the field. I had to hide in a bush to catch my breath but when I emerged it was still waiting for me. It followed me all the way home.

I assumed that was the end of it but no, it knows where I live and has even tried to steal my cats food. I can't leave my door open because it sits on top of it and I'm scared it gets in the house.

Since then if I go to the field and it is there it will chase me off, it's a pretty big field so I try to keep to the side it's not at but it still flies over as soon as it spots me.

Tonight it had me in tears because it was waiting at the entrance to the field and when I threw my dogs ball it picked it up and then flew at my face. It is absolutely massive and terrifying. I called my partner to join me and as soon as he turned up it left me alone. 

I need to walk my dog and she loves going to the field but I don't know what to do anymore. Is there some way I can scare it off? I just want it to leave me alone. I'm sure it's enjoying playing with me and it's no longer about territory but some kind of game.

Tl;dr Raven chases me everytime I go to the field with my dog, want advice on how to get it to leave me alone.

• Hello, how upsetting for you and your poor dog! I see no one has replied to help you yet. I am not a raven expert, but have had experience with Australian magpies and similar behaviour when I lived in Australia. It sounds like this raven is territorial, or has been teased, shot at or something horrible. Are there hunters nearby? Or pheasant breeding going on? Is he playing with you when he gets the ball? They are very intelligent, but if it’s upsetting you, perhaps not. While dealing with territorial/nesting magpies, we used to wear hats to protect our face with large eyes painted on and would use an umbrella. I wouldn’t suggest any sort of aggressive behaviour, like throwing things at them, it is only going to annoy the bird more. People in Australia worked out to feed and make friends of the magpies which stopped aggressive behaviour. I do the same here with crows. Wherever we walk, or where I work, I feed the local crows monkey nuts. I always call to them and they know me. They call out to each other when they see me coming. Maybe you could offer the raven something tasty so he sees you as a friend and not a threat.
    Good luck x

• To add my twopenneth.
    Ravens and Crows have and hold onto recognition of people, I have read they can distinguish difference among several people as you have found with your partner.

You say this started in the Summer, so as Alan mentioned, maybe someone, or even you unwittingly, has frightened it probably during the breeding season, Maybe the fact you went closer with your Camera,reminded it of someone or your Dog , also the fact that your dog went for it(protecting you) sees you as a threat.

Have you attempted to walk route without your Dog?
    Maybe try feeding it some cheese tit bits hope fully it will start to lose its distrust.
    A large Hat and umbrella may also give you some protection.

Will be interested in your journey and a Photo would maybe assist others with more knowledge to advise..
  • In which part of the country are you?
  • If this is a Raven the behavior suggests it has had a lot of human contact in the past. Corvids do seem to adopt people like Alan says also there are some royal connection like keepers of the Queens Ravens,could this be one such bird that is lost ?
  • Hi,

Thank you all for the replies, here's a photo I took of him www.flickr.com/.../ and also a video of him 'stalking' me www.instagram.com/.../ this video was taken the day it all started before he took flight and chased me away.

I'm in a small village near Pontefract in Yorkshire. It's quite rural and my house backs out onto farmers fields where I can see him and his partner wandering around most of the day. The field he usually meets me at is a playing field further into the village.

My partner has chased him away from the cats in the garden by banging a spoon on a pan and he wasn't even particularly bothered by that, he acted more like it was an inconvenience to him rather than a threat and we've even had him sat on our open door looking in the house.

When he's in flight he's magnificent and his wingspan is bigger than my dog who's a 35kg German shepherd. He even tried to take on my neighbours Doberman the other day.

I've thought about feeding him and trying to make friends but then I'm worried he will never leave me alone and chase and attack me for food instead.

My partner says I just need to be brave and shout and run at him to scare him away but I'm scared it backfires and he takes my eyes out.
  • Thank you for the suggestions. I've been looking at crow Vs raven comparisons and I thinks it's definitely a Raven. It has a low clicking call, very smooth and quiet flight, a wedged tail and I've only ever seen it with 1 other bird who I suspect is his girlfriend, she's smaller and more timid. Also it's sheer size makes me think it's not a crow, it's wingspan is over a meter and it's bigger than a cat when it's walking on the ground.

I think I'm going to try keeping cubes of cheese in my pocket and see if it makes a difference if I feed it. The bigger chunks thing sounds like a good plan. Does anyone know what healthy treats I could give it? It seems very interested in my cats raw meat but I don't fancy carrying chunks of steak in my pocket during a walk.
  • So I was brave today and headed out to the field with a pocket full of cheese since I didn't have anything in the house to make pastry with.

Shortly after getting there it landed next to my dog. I decided I wouldn't run away and I'd see what happened. I threw some cheese and it didn't care in the slightest, obviously not a mature cheddar fan. My dog sat down and it hopped over and pecked her bum as if trying to get her to play. They actually played a game of chase for a while. Here's a short clip of it www.instagram.com/.../

I was video calling my partner when all of a sudden it flew off towards a small terrier that had just arrived at the field. It landed on its back and started pecking its head. I ran over to the owner to help and see if her and dog were ok but she actually knew the Raven.

He's called Ricky, he's a year old and has been hand reared by someone who lives near the field. He has been brought up with dog's and likes to play with them. He's used by his owners for hunting with their dogs which is why I think he attacks smaller dogs and why he goes after my cats. He likes hobnobs and to sit on people's heads. So the whole time I've been thinking he's been trying to attack he actually just wants to sit on me and play with my dog.

I'm still a bit scared of him because he is huge but I'm going to arm myself with hobnobs and let my dog have a new friend.
  • Well done saxamania, pleased you and your Dog can still enjoy your walks, and bonus they get to play.

Thank you for the video clips, lovely to see.
  • This is such an interesting story ... the captive bred Raven owned by my friend who shows his Birds of Prey group absolutely adores digestive biscuits, catches pieces thrown to him (as treat or reward) & never misses ... is being taught puzzles to solve, very bright bird!
  • Just spoke to my friend who said he would be surprised if it would attack small dogs & cats but will of course hunt for rodents!