Spammers/trolls and the need for a trustee administrator at weekends

Dear Mods,

Now that you're back from your weekend off, and you've had a chance to see what this (supposed) pigeon fancier called "pigeon" has been up to, would you please reconsider the need for a Trustee Administrator to take care of the situation at weekends.

I gather this has been suggested before but obviously got the thumbs-down.

Of course you might need 2 or 3 trustees, to cover weekends away, holidays and the like.

We've done our best to steer newbies round this idiot, but there'll always be some people that either get upset (see what he's doing) or bite the bait, and even leave because the site has insufficient control when lots of people are at home and want to look in.

It's now school holiday time, and decent youngsters might easily be put off by this stuff.

Even when you've blocked this one, he could tell his mates to have a go, or some other unconnected lowlife might even get on here

Thanks for reconsidering the position.

Regards,

Jackdaw

Seriously thinking about trying harder!

• Woodpecker said:

This troll has deliberately broken their terms and conditions and has posted defamatory comments about many Community members. This shouldn't be allowed to happen for such a long period of time between Friday afternoon and Monday morning.

Totally agree Chris it is wholly unacceptable, lets hope they fill the gap

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
    ~ Mark Twain

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 24/07/2011 11:41 in reply to TeeJay

Welcome to the world of forums.

Some of you may remember last year I heavily criticised the lack of Moderation on this forum.

To give the RSPB their due, they stepped up and started moderating the forum as it should be, however as can be seen from recent posts, they need to address the out of hours aspect also!.

As an experienced moderator and one time owner of my own forum, I understand the need to appoint Mods with  access to  a Ban/Block facility, and also make use of the I.P tracking software available, this is a basic fundamental requirement when running a forum.

It may be the case that the RSPB do not have the Software to implement this at the moment, however, now that Trolls have found this unprotected site, it needs to be addressed with all haste.

Cheers.

• Thanks for the info on how it works Borderlass,it's good to have a bit of an insight on these things.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Hi

I am no longer a rspb member but was for years.

When made redundant and took early retirement had to cut back on a lot of things.

I will gladly pay when visiting any rspb site.

And will donate when I can.

So to go ahead with the suggestion of rspb members only you could loose some decent people

Ray

a good laugh is better than a tonic

• Unknown said:

So to go ahead with the suggestion of rspb members only you could loose some decent people

Ray

Don't think that will ever happen Ray it would be very unfair

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
    ~ Mark Twain

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 24/07/2011 18:29 in reply to doggie

Hi Alan and all

I agree wholeheartly about Trolls - though I have not had any 'stick' from the mentioned character - thank goodness!!!

Through our own experience as members on here we get to know who we trust, and ones who are not all they seen to be - we just have a nose for them - even if they come back over and over again in their multi-guises

Glad to see any offending person removed from this Forum as need be as it causes mayhem, and upset, for others who end up in the slipstream of the mentioned behaviour on all levels of the 'negativeness' shown.

It is back to the old saying

DO NOT FEED THE TROLL!!!

Yes, it does need a cyber 'guard' over the weekends - just incase!

Regards

Kathy and Dave