Spammers/trolls and the need for a trustee administrator at weekends

Dear Mods,

Now that you're back from your weekend off, and you've had a chance to see what this (supposed) pigeon fancier called "pigeon" has been up to, would you please reconsider the need for a Trustee Administrator to take care of the situation at weekends.

I gather this has been suggested before but obviously got the thumbs-down.

Of course you might need 2 or 3 trustees, to cover weekends away, holidays and the like.

We've done our best to steer newbies round this idiot, but there'll always be some people that either get upset (see what he's doing) or bite the bait, and even leave because the site has insufficient control when lots of people are at home and want to look in.

It's now school holiday time, and decent youngsters might easily be put off by this stuff.

Even when you've blocked this one, he could tell his mates to have a go, or some other unconnected lowlife might even get on here

Thanks for reconsidering the position.

Regards,

Jackdaw

Seriously thinking about trying harder!

• Mrs. T was on line this morning - several of us saw her. Why on earth didn't she do something?

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• As one of the many people here who have been on the receiving end of this low-life's abuse, I can only echo JD's sentiments wholeheartedly - such behaviour simply can not be allowed to continue unabated.

• Susan H said:

Mrs. T was on line this morning - several of us saw her. Why on earth didn't she do something?

I also find it hard to believe

Grim is the word if they don't do something serious about this

JD

• That was very well put Jackdaw. I think we all feel the same. A quick block of these sad individuals would stop any recurrance. Even though I don't have young children - during school holidays it is even more important to keep the site administered properly or else responsible parents will stop their children using it in fear of any repetition. That would be a real shame when we are all trying to encourage youngsters to get involved with birdlife and nature.

So come on RPSB .... if you want a well attended website especially by youngsters you'll need to keep it monitored and safe for all to use.

• I think you may have posted this rather prematurely, Jackdaw. I don't think the Mods will be back until Monday although I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments. I have refrained from posting at all today as I didn't want to encourage this "sicko". I have, however, been watching what has been going on and I have been apalled by the obscene and offensive comments this person has posted particularly those directed at our women members.

The Mods must take urgent action to ensure that this sort of behaviour is not allowed to continue and some sort of arrangement put in place to cover weekends when they may not be on duty.

I would go further to say that serious consideration should be given to restricting posting to RSPB members only.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• All it would take is to appoint some assistant mods from the community to keep an eye on things out of hours, and give them a contact number to alert a proper mod to any situation like this. Easy peasy.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Susan H said:

All it would take is to appoint some assistant mods from the community to keep an eye on things out of hours, and give them a contact number to alert a proper mod to any situation like this. Easy peasy.

Best idea yet and I know just the woman, with a hawks eye (LOL)

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
    ~ Mark Twain

• They might not like it 'cos it wasn't their idea ... hopefully they'll see sense

And they don't like being criticised ...

Sometimes you need to take it on the chin, I'm afraid ...

:-)

JD

• Hi TJ,

Don't see what difference it makes when I post it. I can always bump it up.

If twerpy decides to post on this thread, they'll see it straightaway.

:-)

• Unknown said:

The Mods must take urgent action to ensure that this sort of behaviour is not allowed to continue and some sort of arrangement put in place to cover weekends when they may not be on duty.

I would go further to say that serious consideration should be given to restricting posting to RSPB members only.

I agree with both points TJ.

Seymore would get my vote (if he was willing) for weekend cover.

However, I think discussion should be left until Monday. The Troll is probably getting great satisfaction from reading all the comments.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake