Bird behaviour

I am aware that birds often find better feeding away from gardens in the summer but I have always had an abundance of birds in my garden all the year round what ever the weather. However, this summer I have only had the occasional solitary chaffinch or robin. Can anyone please suggest why that should be?
  • Hi verve, I have a garden with an abundance of species that visit, and even with a frequent  taking by a sparrow hawk this would not stop robins or finches, I suspect that you may have a problem with cats as i have had and gone to great expense with fencing to keep them out, Has a neighbour recently got one that loves stalking birds, the one next door to me used to kill at least one on a daily basis, it used to be there at first light as it is always put out at night,If it has not already killed the birds then they are probably aware of it.

• Hello Everyone. Thank you all for your replies. It would seem that my experience is the norm. Arnie, I do have a neighbours cat whose patrol includes my garden but between his patrols, there have always been plenty of birds about. So, I guess we need to be patient and hopefully they will return as the weather changes. Regards to all. Brian

• verve said:

Hello Everyone. Thank you all for your replies. It would seem that my experience is the norm. Arnie, I do have a neighbours cat whose patrol includes my garden but between his patrols, there have always been plenty of birds about. So, I guess we need to be patient and hopefully they will return as the weather changes. Regards to all. Brian

You're welcome.

BTW, we have a plethora of cats that visit our garden, and that doesn't deter the birds, they just stay out of the cats way until safe to return, see the pics below of the miffed robin waiting to get to the feeder and the cat waiting in hope...