Bird behaviour

I am aware that birds often find better feeding away from gardens in the summer but I have always had an abundance of birds in my garden all the year round what ever the weather. However, this summer I have only had the occasional solitary chaffinch or robin. Can anyone please suggest why that should be?
  • Hi Verve

Has there been any change close by with things like hedgerows or fields if there are any around you? or a neighbour starting to feed the birds.

I'm afraid I don't think anyone can give you a definite answer,

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Some species will have struggled this year, due to weather. Others appear to have done very well. e.g. house sparrows. Depends what species you are used to getting I suppose. There's now loads of natural food about, but you were asking about the Summer. Hard to know really without being there.

• In reply to Robbo:

Hello Both. Thanks for your replies. Sorry about the delay in my response.

Alan, I am not aware of any changes locally.

Robbo, I used to see many sparrows, chaffinches, blue tits, great tits and starlings and quite often, robins; even the occasional sparrow hawk. Not such good news for the others but wonderful to see.

I only mentioned summer because that was the current time but we are now running into autumn and nothing has changed.  All I have seen so far is an occasional chaffinch and robin, although I have just now noticed starlings coming in swarms but only flying around and then away.

I live in a rural area with plenty of wild areas and lots of trees. I guess it must be that there is still plenty of natural food in the wilds. I look forward to seeing my usual visitors. Regards. Brian

• In reply to verve:

Yes, my garden is mostly quiet at the moment too. A few more blackbirds (probably migrants) in recent days, and still quite a few chiffchaffs. In terms of typical garden birds, very quiet.

• In reply to Robbo:

My garden is also quiet, 2 blutiis this moning, until Woodie flew on the fence

J

• In reply to wren:

If it's any consolation, the bird activity here is still a little on the quiet side, though they are slowly starting to return, especially with the change in weather.

Added to that, we have a new visitor, so all is not lost, and there is a lot of urban development around here, which may have an impact.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• Hi verve, I have a garden with an abundance of species that visit, and even with a frequent  taking by a sparrow hawk this would not stop robins or finches, I suspect that you may have a problem with cats as i have had and gone to great expense with fencing to keep them out, Has a neighbour recently got one that loves stalking birds, the one next door to me used to kill at least one on a daily basis, it used to be there at first light as it is always put out at night,If it has not already killed the birds then they are probably aware of it.

• In reply to arnie b:

Hello Everyone. Thank you all for your replies. It would seem that my experience is the norm. Arnie, I do have a neighbours cat whose patrol includes my garden but between his patrols, there have always been plenty of birds about. So, I guess we need to be patient and hopefully they will return as the weather changes. Regards to all. Brian

• In reply to verve:

verve said:

Hello Everyone. Thank you all for your replies. It would seem that my experience is the norm. Arnie, I do have a neighbours cat whose patrol includes my garden but between his patrols, there have always been plenty of birds about. So, I guess we need to be patient and hopefully they will return as the weather changes. Regards to all. Brian

You're welcome.

BTW, we have a plethora of cats that visit our garden, and that doesn't deter the birds, they just stay out of the cats way until safe to return, see the pics below of the miffed robin waiting to get to the feeder and the cat waiting in hope...

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Alan.:

Hello again. Alan, I am not aware of any particular changes in the area and I have to add that still there are no birds visiting my garden or indeed any other gardens close by that I can view. I am still getting the odd robin and blackbird and noticed several field fares in adjacent trees two days ago and one sparrow this morning (Wed 30th Jan). All very sad, I hope things change soon.