GOOD EGG AWARD UPDATE

Hello folks,

We have been thinking about making some changes to the good egg award. Under the current system, Good Eggs are only recognised once, but we'd like to create a new system to recognise those of you who consistently contribute really good stuff to the Forum.

One of the ideas we've been throwing around is that of a monthly rolling award. If anyone has any thoughts on this or other ideas regarding improvements to the good egg award we would welcome constructive comments.

Claire
(on behalf of all of the Moderators)

• Maybe the members here should have a staff member of the month award! lol

Thats a good idea too!!! :))

Cheers

AL

If its no fun Yer no doin it right!

• I would not like to see current holders of the Good Egg award lose it, so I hope that is not included in any propositions. 

Perhaps with so many new members a re-jig may be necessary. I feel the moderators may have an extremely difficult and time consuming job to come up with a winner each month as the membership of the forum increases. One solution could be the idea proposed in several posts, that we can vote on posts we like when considering several factors, whether it is helpful, educational, funny, interesting, great photography etc. etc. However, I would make these votes only available to the mods as people tend to go straight to the most popular item and then vote for it and this immediately creates bias.

To be honest, the system seems to work as it is and I don't feel strongly about it.  Except it should not be on the number of posts. If people wanted a separate rating for that, fair enough. The Good egg award should remain about quality not quantity. 

I would like to see an award for the best photo every month, chosen by members but using the "secret" method of voting as mentioned above. I just think it would be fun.  

EDIT: Sorry, crossed post, I was not ignoring the last two posts. I do agree there are one or two members I feel should definitely have been given the award.

Kind regards Jane.

• Unknown said:

Hi Claire

Good Idea as some do contribute a lot with their expertise.

You could ward a star or something at the side of the good egg. Happens silver then after 3 silvers a gold.

Only an Idea

Ray

Hi all

Some interesting reading.

I suggested this after thiinking some people do need rcognising for their imput.

The best thing about this is the awards would stop at gold.

Ray

a good laugh is better than a tonic

• what about having a forum member nomination form so we can tell you managers and moderators what we have found useful, and why?

then you will get 'consumer' feedback as well 

just a bit of input from us folks

Izzy

• Hi Izzy,

I think (but am not sure) that is what the stars are for above each post. However, these stars are either not used at all or are mis-used.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 17/04/2011 16:37 in reply to Barnsley lad

Hi Barnsley Lad and everyone

Maybe we could out for certain awards for certain things that people achieve.

I think people who go out for events, and contribute to voluntary work too.,,, are awarded.   All these things count towards an award.

I know I will talk a lot more with the people who work at Wildlife Reserves on this Forum who place blogs here, met them, and build up a rapport with them now and in the future time on this site.

It is showing that people get out and about and are interested in the subject of this Forum - photos and reports count too - along with supporting new members on here who are learning the ropes

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Susan H said:

Hi Izzy,

I think (but am not sure) that is what the stars are for above each post. However, these stars are either not used at all or are mis-used.

ah thanks for that Sparrow useful information- I wasnt aware of that - does it tell a newbie of that anywhere?

Blackbird - Barnsley lad replied in feb to this thread - why did you reply to this now? just so you could purposely ignore my posting  AGAIN? what a fine example of a good egg you are

really am getting a bit fed up with this

Regards 

Izzy

• Nicki C said:

Hi Barnsley Lad and everyone

Maybe we could opt for certain awards for certain things that people achieve.

I think people who go our for events, and contribute to voluntary work too.,,, are awarded.   All these things count towards an award.

I know I will talk a lot more with the people who work at Wildlife Reserves on this Forum who place blogs here, met them, and build up a rapport with them now and in the future time on this site.

It is showing that people get out and about and are interested in the subject of this Forum - photos and reports count too - along with supporting new members on here who are learning the ropes

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Not everyone is able to get "out and about", they are constricted by income, health. travel difficulties and personal issues. That does not mean that their interest in this forum or the value of their contributions is any less than the person who is able to do so.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 17/04/2011 16:59 in reply to Rach

Hi Rach

I am very keen about my subject...and that is how it comes across here.

I do understand where you are coming from in what you say here Rach, and yes, it is true that people have other things that stop them from getting out and about.

Over the past few years I have had health problems, and they have impacted on my life/work life (cannot work) in big ways so it is very frustrating all round - so it is not plain sailing here and, yes,  I have still got 'genetic' health issues which need operations for the rest of my life.

My Bird Fourms have kept me sane so it is not all plain sailing by any means at all

I do not have a family as they are all abroad, and Dave's family are not alive anymore so not many have that going at all - maybe we are lucky - maybe not.... depending on your point of view.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Izzy said:

ah thanks for that Sparrow useful information- I wasnt aware of that - does it tell a newbie of that anywhere?

Hi Izzy,

No, I don't think there is an explanation of how to use the stars or what they are for. If there is, I have never found it.

I love your signature, by the way.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr