GOOD EGG AWARD UPDATE

Hello folks,

We have been thinking about making some changes to the good egg award. Under the current system, Good Eggs are only recognised once, but we'd like to create a new system to recognise those of you who consistently contribute really good stuff to the Forum.

One of the ideas we've been throwing around is that of a monthly rolling award. If anyone has any thoughts on this or other ideas regarding improvements to the good egg award we would welcome constructive comments.

Claire
(on behalf of all of the Moderators)

• I quite like the idea that a few people have put forward of still awarding the original Good Egg badge and certificate, just like the current Good Egg award in the first instance, and then being able to add bronze, silver and gold stars to it.

That way previous winners might feel that they have something else to aim for and achieve, rather than winning something once and possibly feeling they couldn't win anything else.

I think that the quality of posts should remain as important as they are now, and I feel that there should be no preference given to whether people are experts, full time twitchers, people who visit reserves, or those who just sit at home and do their bird-watching through the window, whether they are beginners or slightly more experienced watchers.

Everyone has an equally valid contribution to make in this Community however they see the subjects of their contributions.

• Woodpecker said:

If you're an active member of our Community, you could be in line for our 'Good Egg' award.

At the beginning of each month, an exclusive Good Egg pinbadge will be awarded to a person who's been a good, upstanding citizen. These beautiful badges are exclusive to the RSPB Community and are bound to become collector's items - only 100 have been made and you won't find them anywhere else!

Our team will be on the lookout for someone who has an air of general good-egginess. Here are a few of of the kind of things which we might look out for:

• Helping a newcomer to the community
    • Writing something that makes everyone smile
    • Answering others' questions
    • Contributing to groups or galleries

Hi Trochilus

According to Graham Bird the Good Egg Award was set up specifically to award an exclusive pinbadge  to good upstanding citizens and there were only 100 exclusive badges to award. The Good Egg emblem below the avatar was just a way for other members to recognise those members who had won it.

So far by my count only 17 exclusive pinbadges have been awarded. (I trust that amongst the awards are 2 months where pinbadges weren't sent). So that falls somewhat short of a couple of dozen Good Eggs.

I am aware that some Good Eggs no longer contribute, or contribute less, but others contribute just like they did when they won their award.

In my humble opinion this award shouldn't be 'diluted' at such an early stage. For most it was hard won and well earned, and some members won't wish to see it 'cheapened'. I think a rolling award would see it become less prestigious rather than more prestigious.

To award some sort of a 'rolling Good Egg award' every month would be more likely to reward prolific posters, as opposed to valuable contributions from good, upstanding citizens, and the Good Egg award was never set up for that purpose.

+ 1 woodpecker

I don't think the Good Egg award should be diluted at all... those that have it should be left to keep it and people should still be able to win it... up until 100 awards have been given out as was originally stated

In my experience on other forums you get a ranking according to the amount of posts that you make... but off-topic (tea room) banter doesn't count towards this ... 

the stars and medals awarded though aren't easy to come by... i think it goes something like this... 

100 posts - 1 star
     500 posts - 2 stars
    1000 posts - 3 stars
    1500 posts - 4 stars 
    2500 posts - 5 stars
    5000 posts - medal
    10000 posts - 10k hero (2 medals)

we have yet to see our first member reach 20k posts but it is fast approaching...

anyhow... the level of post activity generally reflects the helpfulness of an individual and averages out over time... those that aren't as helpful or just spam tend not to stick around long

my feeling, judging from what I know works on other forums, is KEEP the Good Egg award and LEAVE those who have it to keep their badges... AND instill a length of service/post count rewards system such as an amount of gold stars/medals for helpful and continual posts

• Oh Guy, sorry but you are so wrong as far as this forum is concerned!

Its easy to bump up your posts - just reply to everyone who answers your thread personally rather than as a group. That's a good bumper upper. (Not suggesting this is deliberate - just an example)

If you are at home all day, most days, you can post loads. If you work or do other things, you can't. Simple as that.

The number of posts is irrelevant. Its the QUALITY of the posts that matters. Anyone can write rubbish. Not everyone can produce consistent quality posts.

• Sparrow, I do hear what you are saying... and I have seen it in action. However the mods should be counteracting this if 'thank you' replies are an issue? I have previously suggested having a 'thanks' system (you can tag a reply with a thank you), which works on a lot of forums i know, but I was informed that it was much more personal to be able to thank in person by writing a nice thank you reply and the idea was poo-pooed.... so... err... catch 22? 

suggestion then...

why not keep the Good Egg award and the forum as it is? it appears to work just fine... I didn't see anyone complaining about it before this thread and it is a meaningful reference for newbies, who know that they can rely on a particular persons reply if they are a Good Egg!

• On another forum I visit, they have a 'karma' system for rewarding good posts. If you like a post that you read, you press the 'Exalt' button next to it, and the poster gets a karma point. Each poster's total karma score is displayed alongside their overall post count. You can only dispense a karma point once every hour, so you need to think a bit about dishing it out.

• kerry g said:
    Sparrow, I do hear what you are saying... and I have seen it in action. However the mods should be counteracting this if 'thank you' replies are an issue?

Hi Guy,

No, I don't for one minute think thank you replies are an issue. It is polite to say thank you. I was simply raising it as an example of how numbers of posts increase this way, and give a false indication of how many helpful posts are made.

• Find myself in comlete agreement with Sparrow and Sheena,some very good points made.Nothing worse than someone bumping up posts just to get more posts.

• Susan H said:

Oh Guy, sorry but you are so wrong as far as this forum is concerned!

Its easy to bump up your posts - just reply to everyone who answers your thread personally rather than as a group. That's a good bumper upper. (Not suggesting this is deliberate - just an example)

If you are at home all day, most days, you can post loads. If you work or do other things, you can't. Simple as that.

The number of posts is irrelevant. Its the QUALITY of the posts that matters. Anyone can write rubbish. Not everyone can produce consistent quality posts.

Again Linda, i agree with you and have been a member of forums where the more posts you do the higher you get.I enjoy saying hi to new members and telling others how nice their pics are etc. but that doesn't make a great post and i am aware of that and would , not expect to be rewarded for it.If a forum has fancy names for people who have the time to post and post and post, that is each individual sites choice and  certainly can encourage members to contribute although,not  always quality.

The RSPB is different and special.

I like the Good Egg Awards and mostly, they have gone to those who deserved it and it is different in that, the Mods choose a winner unlike getting points for posts.I also think it is getting more difficult for them to choose as the site is growing but still small and month to month it must be a nightmare to always have to make a choice and pick yet another member.Yes i can see them looking at certain people, wanting to give them an extra reward rather than  have to pick from a bad bunch ha ha................... JOKE :0) . 

Best of british in whatever they decide ........is what i say ha ha. :0) (Big Smile)

• Mrs T, this post has certainly got a mixed response and some interesting comments.

The forum is growing which is positive not only for the RSPB organisation but for those who contribute and enjoy been part of the community.

As fas as I can recall the forum has only just had it's first anniversary and my own personal opinion is it is still in it's infancy.

There has been numerous teething problems of which many are still prevalent;  surely it would be beneficial to all for those problems to be addressed and rectified before discussing, altering existing awards etc. 

I feel there is a need to walk before you can run element required.

As Woodpecker has already pointed out, the article published by  Graham Bird stated 100 badges would be awarded monthly as an exclusive pinbadge to good upstanding citizens.

It would therefore take 8 years, four months to allocate this reward in full. Is this period of time now been scrutinised?

With still over 80 badges and awards to distribute. I think it would be more beneficial to discuss away of distributing those in an appropriate way before debating about changing the award only a few have recieved in the communities first year.

I can also understand the need to change things when things need to be changed, I don't know how the rest of the Good Eggs feel, personally I don't think this forum needs a new structure for recognition. It could cause more harm than good!

On a lighter note, If anyone would like to make a cash contribution to all of us Good Eggs then I'm sure we could negotiate a fair trade price.

Just my thoughts, don't try and fix something that ain't broken!

Bestwishes to all.

Regards Buzzard

• I think there are some good ideas going around, though I don't think quanity of posts has anything to do with someone becoming a good egg or not it is the quality of posts that aid that choice.  However, I do like the way in which the current system rewards different people each time so that each month it is always going to be someone new who is being recognised for their contributions.  I can see a situation arising if people could be given the award multiple times of the whole good egg system becoming a bit repetitive with the same people getting the award, and while I have no doubt it will be deservedly so I think it is better in the current system which spreads it around and gives new people a chance.  Though I can understand why people are wanting to continue to reward current good eggs, so the Golden Egg idea does sound like a good one but with the current system (the good egg winners getting their badge and certificate) it makes it a bit more complicated and again, the monthly thing could get repetitive if it is congratulations to the same few members.  Not to mention if the same member keeps winning it will take a loooong time to get rid of the badges lol 

Maybe the members here should have a staff member of the month award! lol