GOOD EGG AWARD UPDATE

Hello folks,

We have been thinking about making some changes to the good egg award. Under the current system, Good Eggs are only recognised once, but we'd like to create a new system to recognise those of you who consistently contribute really good stuff to the Forum.

One of the ideas we've been throwing around is that of a monthly rolling award. If anyone has any thoughts on this or other ideas regarding improvements to the good egg award we would welcome constructive comments.

Claire
(on behalf of all of the Moderators)

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 17/04/2011 18:26 in reply to Sparrow

Hi Izzy

I find the star system rather divisive and open to misuse, as Sparrow says. The Good Egg award also has its downside in seemingly ignoring excellent input. However, I can't see how to improve on it, as we have it, short of giving everyone a Good Egg award every month :))

To pick up on your suggestion for a nomination form. What I see missing from the forum is a way to constructively protect the members from breaches of the 'spirit' of the Terms and Conditions.

As we know comments (very occasionally) appear on some threads that are purposefully discourteous and mean spirited and cause upset ( perhaps even on this thread!!)

We have the T&C and when they are contravened, the mods are quick to act. However comments contravening the 'spirit' of the T&C are more difficult to discourage so perhaps a feedback form where members can leave their concerns as well as encouragement is a good idea. It may create more work for the mods but it will also alert them to when members are uneasy or upset by the conduct of other members.

Just a thought.

I'm now going to give myself 5 stars !!!! LOL

Pipit

• Hi,

I am also not sure what the stars are for. It seems strange that you can award them on your own posts. I see that something I have posted on this thread had five stars but no idea why or who awarded them (it wasn't me i hasten to add, lol) Perhaps it is this part of the forum that needs addressing rather than the good egg system which seems to working ok(ish)

Sarah

I've learned that I still have a lot to learn...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bramble67/

• Unknown said:
    I find the star system rather divisive and open to misuse, as Sparrow says. The Good Egg award also has its downside in seemingly ignoring excellent input.

Does the forum really need an official award system?  Do other forums give awards? It a very subjective matter. I choose for myself which contributors or threads are the most helpful, interesting etc.

"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom" - Wlliam Blake

• ClaireM said:

I find the star system rather divisive and open to misuse, as Sparrow says. The Good Egg award also has its downside in seemingly ignoring excellent input.

Does the forum really need an official award system?  Do other forums give awards? It a very subjective matter. I choose for myself which contributors or threads are the most helpful, interesting etc.

[/quote]

Good points, both Pip and Claire. No doubt it seemed a good idea to start with, but maybe it's run it's course? Similarly the star system, - can you really give yourself stars? If so, that could be open to abuse! [Well, if anyone is takng any notice].

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 17/04/2011 18:51 in reply to Rach

Rachel K said:

Not everyone is able to get "out and about", they are constricted by income, health. travel difficulties and personal issues. That does not mean that their interest in this forum or the value of their contributions is any less than the person who is able to do so.

Very well said Rach!! This forum is for everyone's contributions about anything they wish to share!!

I can think of one or two current members who are unable to get out and about through ill health or other responsibilities. I would hate to think they were excluded in any way because of that!!!I

It would never happen on here anyway.

Cheers

Pipit

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 17/04/2011 18:52 in reply to doggie

Unknown said:

pipit you get 5 stars everytime lol

alan

So do you Alan xxxx

• Do you know, I never even noticed the stars (obviously my duff IDing skills yet again, lol). As someone who can't get out and about much I would like to add my two pennarth in defence of the less able. And as to awards - I was absolutely delighted to be awarded a Good Egg - so chuffed I find it practically impossible to say how much. I wear my badge with pride and anyone with a heartbeat has to hear about it - sorry, I live a very sheltered, restricted life and any acknowledgement that I exist is so gratifying - the chronically ill tend to be chronically lonely as well. But I want to make it plain, I didn't seek it, it never crossed my tiny mind, I simply enjoyed the forum and the discussions therein, added my bit (and how!) and was absolutely astounded to discover I'd won one. That people with far more experience than I have been hurt by my coming from 'nowhere' to gain this honour makes me feel genuinely very sad for them, but I really can't help being glad for me. I love my wildlife, I love my conservation efforts in my garden, I love this forum and now I've found it, I'd be heartbroken to lose it. One of the joys of it is the generous warmth most people display towards one another, the genuine care we feel for one another and for the birds, creatures and plants we love so much. The many congratulations I received for the Good Egg made me well up - there is such kindness here - so let's stick with that ethos - there's enough unkindness and brutal competitiveness out there in the 'real' world - I like to think of this Community as a 'safe haven'. Mind you, I've always been a bit of a soggy 'tree hugger' at heart:-) With very best wishes to one and all. Kezsmum.

p.s. And I still want to know, do you have to wear armour plated pyjamas when Izzy the bird joins you Izzy the person at bedtime?

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 17/04/2011 19:35 in reply to Kezsmum

Very well said Kezsmum and well done on getting your award. Anybody can enjoy birds, nature, wildlife etc without having to "prove" it with photos, reports etc although they are always good to read and look at.

A lot of people are less abled than others and the thing with a forum is we often do not know who has difficulties unless they wish to say. I have had serious health problems too and cannot do what I used to do but enjoy things still as much. OH has to help more!!

• Unknown said:

Very well said Kezsmum and well done on getting your award. Anybody can enjoy birds, nature, wildlife etc without having to "prove" it with photos, reports etc although they are always good to read and look at.

A lot of people are less abled than others and the thing with a forum is we often do not know who has difficulties unless they wish to say. I have had serious health problems too and cannot do what I used to do but enjoy things still as much. OH has to help more!!

Sorry to hear you have problems Coral and well said yourself:-) Himself has become a red hot gardener since I took the sidelines:-) He loves it and the wildlife ethos of our garden:-)

• Got to agree i do not like the star system, nor do i like the good egg awards for reasons known to several members here and the fact i'll never get one ha ha ha ha.I think it is very sad though if a member wants one and is constantly overlooked.I suppose it would knock their confidence too which isn't good.  

Kevsmum you and most others have really deserved them so please don't get me wrong.However,when a good egg isn't good , it should be a punishment to take it away instantly.That doesn't happen here and it is wrong.There are a few very fed up members who don't want an egg but justice.Not me, may i add but it would be nice to see everyone happy.

An optimist sees the beauty of the complete rose.A pessimist sees only the thorn .