SPAM Detection and Moderation

There is more SPAM from Maurice Khan.

How does this happen? It seems that if a post is reported it is flagged up to a Moderator who deals with it. One would have thought that dealing with a user who has only posted Spam would mean deleting that account? 

Can you please explain exactly how SPAM detection and Moderation works?

• Good question and I would to know that as well. If there’s no regular moderators in person. Anyone could just press and flag a post whether it was spam or wasn’t!

Regards,

Ian.

• im not surprised if  Maurice Klan has posted more spam. Unless you remove a spammers acount there could well spam again. The  spam has gone now but reporting posts only go so far.

if they made an acount to only post advertisments or spam then it should be removed once the posts are reported its not the post that is the cause of the spam its the spam acount posting the spam in this sort of scenario then the acount should be removed after its reported.

iv added there acount in the RSPBs thread for them to deal with directly but the fact that it still exists even though the spam acount is what posted it just proves how effective the system is at detecting  spam acounts.

we dont want it to be so sensitive that it mistakes profiles that arnt spammers with those that are cause we already get acounts that get deleated like Robbos did that didnt break amy rules or post spam we dont need that flaw to get any worse

it needs to be able to detect if a profie is a spam profile then remove it. so what we need is one thats not under sensitive like not being able to detect a spam profile and not removing spam (or not removing spam acounts at all) and not too sensitive  it needs to be able to distinguish between acounts that are spam and arnt and remove thr spam acounts only and effectively once spam is posted and reported. It will be interesting to hear there answer to the question 

• If ther any regular human moderators of which hasn’t been the case for many years of which I’ve mentioned many times!

Regards,

Ian.

• yes we can only rely on the cleverness or intellegamce AI with technology to a certain exstent. this is the fact for many things considered artificialy intelegant able to distinguish one thing or another, identify, organise things or take on certain tasks particularly for ourselfs or/and other people.

the ability to follow instructions, detect, organise and take on tasks is  present inside computers, devices and the built in software inside them. but this sort of technology is (made by people.) and cause software is made by people it isnt perfect  they can only do so much without any human presence in the long term 

human moderators would help. AI in tech has its flaws just like people its not perfect it cant do everything by itself.

so there are times when humans need to step in, make sure they take on what software alone cant allways do on its own year after year and things do get old and may not work aswell.

the RSPB rely too much on the software  to take care of spam and spam acounts and  moderate content as efectively as it should do. it needa human moderators not just the helpful ability of software to moderate  things for you

if we have humans to also moderate aswell at times then there isnt too much reliance on the software of you rely on it too much probloms can ocur particularly when it comes to spam detection and moderation there needs to be a balance between the two 

• Al is something i would not suppor as you should no why. It could be abused by anyone and you should know why as well! And I hope others would agree! It’s a terrible idea!

Regards,

Ian.

• I didnt say if I support it or not. I  wouldnt say If I support something or not without actually literaly  saying if I do or not directly.  I was just talking about the ups and downs of intelegance and technology and the software.   cause I do know about the ups and downs of technology and relying on the cleverness of tech too much.

in this day and age people are more aware of the danger of relying too much on technology. it has the ability  to  be able to perform certaim tasks without people nesacerily being about all the time but it cant be relyed on to too much. that is why the software  cannot takr care of certain tasks like moderation by itself all the time every year with without a certain amount of human presence to also take on the task of moderation it may not nesacerily do the task as efectively as it should like detecting and dealing with spam acounts 

• I’m sorry I completely disagree. If you’ve had a look at the dangers of using Al. Also not enough is known about this technology. Also I don’t think that should be considered. I wouldn’t have thought even considering that or even mentioning al. The internet can be a dangerous place.. But considering little is known about this technology! A definite 100% no from me!

Regards,

Ian.

• True and I wasnt saying we know enough about AI. I was saying we are more aware that its not good to rely too much on techology and by that i mean like in software.   im not considering anything that is  related to AI. I was just useing it  to try and help me explain what im saying. im talking about  the RSPB relying too much on software to deal with spam and moderate the forum  

im saying the RSPB rely on the software to deal with spam or spam acounts the main way of dealimg with spam is to press the spam button so then the software reports it but it needs a balance by haveing active ( human ) moderators otherwise it might not nesacerily deal with it effectively. its not removing the spam acounts only the spam 

• Sadly at the moment the RSPB don’t have enough staff. Redundencies have been made in recent years. From Mark Avery in 2018.

Regards,

Ian.

• Come on you two - stop hijacking this thread. If you want to have an argument, send each other messages. This is a request for information from OfficialRSPB