Is blue green algae killling our birds?

On the news today, warnings about the dangers of blue green algae to dogs and swimmers but what about our birds? I've asked Google and discovered that fish die from lack of oxgen caused by blue green algae but are they and birds affected by neurological toxins of the algae????

• Hi Soo
    I think it can be toxic to birds but I've not come across any news stories or anyone posting on here about large numbers of birds dying from it.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan.:

Alan. said:
    Hi Soo
    I think it can be toxic to birds but I've not come across any news stories or anyone posting on here about large numbers of birds dying from it.

I'm inclined to agree with Alan.

I'm not educated in these matters, for me, commonsense pervails, though I'm always happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

More often than not, if the toxicity affects more than one species, there's a good chance the impacts will be greater.

Being small generally, the impact in my opinion, will be greater. Nature has a fantastic way of keeping the environment clean, how often do we see dead birds?

However, because little or no obvious research, is available, then it will appear not the case.

But, as I said earlier, I'm happy to be corrected.

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler