This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Community upgrade is live!

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience over the last week or so while the community has been in lockdown. Good news – the upgrade has now been implemented and you’re free to start commenting and posting across the community again.

With the upgrade I’m sure you’ll notice quickly that there are some minor differences in how you find and create posts, please give it a bit of time to get used to it. To help we’re producing some step by step guides about the most commonly used feature’s on here which will be posted in this thread as well. We're hoping to have these live by the end of the week.

While the community has been thoroughly checked we’re sure that the eagle-eyed amongst you will find some issues so please if you do find any errors drop them in this thread that we’ll be moderating to make sure any issues are picked up on and corrected asap.

We know you’ve been keen to get some new features on the community as part of the upgrade and I have some news on that as well.

• So you should now find that as standard all users have permission to format their posts, something I’m sure you’ll all agree has been sorely missing.
  • We have also figured out a way that you can upload multiple images at once within forum posts and comments. This isn’t a perfect solution and we’ll likely be doing some work to make it much more user friendly for you all in the future, but in the mean time I’ll be posting a how to guide for this within this forum soon.

Thanks again for the enthusiasm and support, we hope you like it.

RSPB Digital Team

• Hi Jon,    Even though I've filled in the survey and completed it,   each time I access any page on the Community I keep getting the Survey feedback box back up and have to keep  X-ing it out.  

Regards, Hazel 

• Its not doing it here Hazel ?

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• You clever person Sheila :)

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group

• Survey feedback is still appearing even though I've completed it and then said NO Thanks the next time it appeared  !!       Life's too short, I'm having a break before the men in white coats are called for   LOL

Regards, Hazel 

• I have filled it in, but I am sure I will have more to say as I get around to joining in with my usual threads (LG Forum).  At the moment I am merely finding my way thru the maze.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• So kind, but totally unwarranted!  I am the most non-techie person imaginable!  It's a case of try and see in most cases

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• I've noticed that when I open some threads there's a Mute button on the right hand side. Anyone know what that's for?

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Hi all,

The first of our How To guides is now ready and available below.

This focuses on how to add media to community posts. A lot of you have already figured this out but it might be useful.

What would be really helpful is if there's anything in particular you'd like to see a How To guide on please reply to this comment, I'll keep an eye on it and work on anything we don't already have planned.

How to add media to the community.docx

• Hmm, ok, well.  For now, just a few comments on the overall look & feel, some of which have been mentioned before, but bear repeating.

Using PC

The "Related" stuff on the right of frame is not helpful - the list of latest Blogs would be much better there - it would also be visible all the time, rather than only visible at the bottom of the home screen. 

Home screen needs more threads visible - far too few on there at present.  If the list of blogs moved to the right hand frame, they would not have to be at the bottom of the home page, creating more space for threads.

The headers take up too much space - a third of the screen is excessive.  Slim the breadcrumbs, juggle the "Wildlife", "Places" etc, lose the "Join & Donate" button (I get why it's there - I really do - but it's confusing as it's about the RSPB, not the Community.  This site is NOT the RSPB site, it is the RSPB Community one.  This may seem a strange comment, but top left, the RSPB logo is normally where you find the website Home button.  It takes me to Community Home.  So the website is RSPB Community, not RSPB :-) It's actually handy - we DO need a Community home button, but you can't then have a bright orange button labelled Join unless it's to join the Community)

Whilst on the subject of headers, when viewing a blog (I looked at Havergate's), the scrolling of the headers was poor (jerky) and again, takes up too much screen real-estate.  There also appears to be multiple versions of Lyndsey's blog, but I've sent her a mail on that one Grinning

The display of the threads is actually better when using the mobile view (ie on a phone) as you lose the header - and here the blogs being underneath the threads works better.  However, I need to be able to page right to see more blogs - or they'll get lost too easily and I will miss loads

So an interesting change - but an adaptive design more suited to mobile than PC at present.  I'll play more with stuff and add further - though JonB, my original offer still stands Wink

ETA (well, also to try the Edit functionality) - you need new Usability peeps if they feel the font as displayed on PC is acceptable.  In this "Reply/Edit" box it is clearly black, making it clear how pale the normal displayed colour is

ETA again - I'm already hating the "Top Replies" thing - very confusing!  Just leave all replies in order please

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• I'm totally confused! The posts aren't in a chronological order, you can't seem to go to the last post, no idea who started a thread. Oh dear, will have to watch & wait I think. Bye for now xx

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France