This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Community upgrade is live!

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience over the last week or so while the community has been in lockdown. Good news – the upgrade has now been implemented and you’re free to start commenting and posting across the community again.

With the upgrade I’m sure you’ll notice quickly that there are some minor differences in how you find and create posts, please give it a bit of time to get used to it. To help we’re producing some step by step guides about the most commonly used feature’s on here which will be posted in this thread as well. We're hoping to have these live by the end of the week.

While the community has been thoroughly checked we’re sure that the eagle-eyed amongst you will find some issues so please if you do find any errors drop them in this thread that we’ll be moderating to make sure any issues are picked up on and corrected asap.

We know you’ve been keen to get some new features on the community as part of the upgrade and I have some news on that as well.

• So you should now find that as standard all users have permission to format their posts, something I’m sure you’ll all agree has been sorely missing.
  • We have also figured out a way that you can upload multiple images at once within forum posts and comments. This isn’t a perfect solution and we’ll likely be doing some work to make it much more user friendly for you all in the future, but in the mean time I’ll be posting a how to guide for this within this forum soon.

Thanks again for the enthusiasm and support, we hope you like it.

RSPB Digital Team

• It seems so very slow accessing these forums now, and it takes ages to change pages. I knew this would happen, as upgrades regularly make websites much worse. Why the RSPB have to make an upgrade just for changes sake and then make this website 100% worse, I just don’t know.

Regards,

Ian.

Regards,

Ian.

• I'm so relieved you're stil with us, Noisette :-*

• Me too also H!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• OK, so I'm on the Weekly Chat a lot and we have several issues:

1: One of our posters (OG) can't sign on; has called RSPB for help but as yet no help has been forthcoming.  

2: Folks who typically access the site on tablets are finding that the actual thread content is minimal due to the extraneous blurbs at the top and bottom of the screen.   I have a laptop with a small screen and feel the same way. 

3:  We consider that the previous Reply button (at the bottom of the latest post )worked better than the new Reply options.  We tend to use one post to respond to multiple posters rather than to individuals.   I realize we can still do that by using the first Reply button on the thread, but that requires scrolling up and down several times to make sure you haven't missed any individual (indented) responses. 

4.  Apropos of the above, I just noticed the View More bar and clicked on it to find that I'd missed some posts.  Why do we need this bar?  What purpose does it serve apart from hiding posts?

5.  Some of us are confused by the Newest/Oldest/Votes options (and most of us don't care about Votes or awards).

Basically, the feeling is that the new format not only isn't as easy to use as the old one, but that it's unnecessarily complicated, cumbersome and not at all friendly to folks using tablets.  Please advise if any of these issues might be addressed soon?

Thank you!

• Why is it so much more difficult to post a photo? I used to do screen grabs, then upload. Now I get 'too large' all the time. I don't want to spend time resizing my screen grabs, then posting. If I use 100x100 my photos are too small.

Sorry if this has been raised before but as many have said, it's impossible to search easily as used to be the case for previous posts

• I’ve always enjoyed coming onto these forums every day without fail and reading all the different threads, posts and blogs. But since the upgrade I haven’t enjoyed coming onto these forums at all. It’s just so hard to navigate and read posts. I don’t know which member of the RSPB member of this staff planned this upgrade. But this upgrade is just terrible. I could say a lot more what I think, but then I would get a ban. Also no one getting back and replying to all our negative comments about this upgrade is very poor. I remember the last upgrade before this one and the same thing happened back then, no one took any notice of our views and some members on that occasion left these forums and that was very sad.

Regards,

Ian.

Regards,

Ian.

• I fear we'll lose more Ian & my very suspicious side wonders if this is their dastardly plan ... wonderfully cunning way to save money!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• This current way of dealing with things just doesn't make any sense if RSPB are already losing memberships and have less funding coming in;   surely they want to keep their faithful members sweet.    I don't know why they think going on stealth/silent mode is an option.    Perhaps what we are asking for is simply too difficult for them to implement now the new platform is in situ or else why don't we get updates on any problems that can be sorted.     Surely the way they are burying their heads in the sand is bound to tee more people off and ultimately receive less funding in further subsriptions.     Perhaps an update from Martin Harper himself wouldn't go amiss at this point in time.      I know he reads parts of this community.

Regards, Hazel 

• I might email Mike Clarke like I did the last time there was an upgrade and I did get a reply from him, although that didn’t change things at all with that last upgrade.

Regards,

Ian.

Regards,

Ian.

• Just took this grab, 457KB at 1364x630 pixels

Jim

My Pictures

My Fbook Group