This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Community upgrade is live!

Hi all,

Thanks for your patience over the last week or so while the community has been in lockdown. Good news – the upgrade has now been implemented and you’re free to start commenting and posting across the community again.

With the upgrade I’m sure you’ll notice quickly that there are some minor differences in how you find and create posts, please give it a bit of time to get used to it. To help we’re producing some step by step guides about the most commonly used feature’s on here which will be posted in this thread as well. We're hoping to have these live by the end of the week.

While the community has been thoroughly checked we’re sure that the eagle-eyed amongst you will find some issues so please if you do find any errors drop them in this thread that we’ll be moderating to make sure any issues are picked up on and corrected asap.

We know you’ve been keen to get some new features on the community as part of the upgrade and I have some news on that as well.

• So you should now find that as standard all users have permission to format their posts, something I’m sure you’ll all agree has been sorely missing.
  • We have also figured out a way that you can upload multiple images at once within forum posts and comments. This isn’t a perfect solution and we’ll likely be doing some work to make it much more user friendly for you all in the future, but in the mean time I’ll be posting a how to guide for this within this forum soon.

Thanks again for the enthusiasm and support, we hope you like it.

RSPB Digital Team

• Well I hope you don’t mind my plain speaking. But this new forum website is not user friendly. The old forum website, was by no means user friendly, but at least you could see everything on the old forum websiteite on the forum homepage. I think this new forum new look website is terrible and my worry’s about the upgrade have sadly come true.

Regards,

Ian.

• Oh dear team, what have you done to us??

• Crikey, that was quick. Is it the 19th already?

Well done tech people getting the Forum up and running again, It looks very different from the old one so will take a bit of getting used to and finding our way around.

• Well done for the speedy finish but help please!

Is there a community home page showing all new posts as we used to have?

By turning reply notifications on for every thread am I sending myself e-mails whenever anyone replies to any post for which I've turned on the reply notifications or will notifications show up as before, here on the forum and not in my e-mails?

Where are the lists of friends, please?

• It's different, that's for sure. I have no doubt I will get used to it. I'm not sure how 'Recommended For You' is supposed to work. None of the threads on there were of any interest to me personally, so they were not based on my posting history or viewing history. Not a big deal, but a missed opportunity maybe?

The actual date of a posting rather than '16 days ago' for example, would be better. I have found it useful to know exactly when I have rescued certain Pigeons for example.

Ok. Click on the 'More' link and you get date and time...

'Achievements'. Is that supposed to be a new version of the 'Good Egg' award?

• Great to have our Community back so quickly although I'm feeling as if I've landed on another planet at the moment fumbling my way around the new layout;    the writing looks a bit pale and proving a bit hard on my poor eyesight.       What is this Vote Up and Vote Down ?   

• I've voted my posting to minus 1. Let's see how low we can get it lol

• Big mistake to give us a dislike button!

• Well when the RSPB changed RSPB reserve listings website, that was a very bad change and it takes far longer finding an individual RSPB reserve now than it used to and now the RSPB Forums are in a real terrible mess. I’ve never seen such a bad change for a forum website.

Regards,

Ian.

• Why does it seem you can see so much less on a page? That can't be good. One precise point. Please can you make it so photos can be closed using the escape key, not just having the click on the 'close' icon. What a waste of time that is.