Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

Heavy clay boggy garden turned into a wildlife haven

This year I had decided it was time to take action, and turn my boggy garden into a beautiful place, I have done all the work myself with the help from my 11 year old daughter. Being a single mum with very little spare money. We have spent absolutely zero on this makeover. I am so happy. It’s not perfect but hard work pays off.

• I over thought this project for a year Joy. I had spent two years trying to get an ornamental garden, and having no success with my pitch perfect lawn! I decided it was time for nature to take over. I am very lucky to have neighbours who are retired and gave me lots of tips and advice. I am even more great full for freecycle is where I posted for items I needed, there were so many people out there that donated to the project. We have a family of slow worms which is really worth the work we have done. Although I have only seen the frog once. It was still a huge surprise
  • Hello Paula, lovely to see the results of your garden makeover and congratulate you and your daughter on all your efforts, having a water feature also will really bring the birds in so you will be well rewarded with wildlife to watch from the comfort of your house and patio. You deserve a rest now ! thanks for sharing your photos and story and look forward to any updates.

Regards, Hazel 

• Hi Paula, what a wonderful transformation you have made in your garden, well done both of you. Even better when you can use other people's left overs or recycling.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.