Nature on Your Doorstep Community

A place to learn, share and inspire others to create a haven for you and for wildlife.

Sign In or Register to join the conversation

How close can bird boxes be?

At the start of the year (2014) i put up a bird box with a video camera in it, we now have a blue tit in it every night (its Nov), I was hoping to put up more but i don't know how close i can put them, i don't want to push the current blue tit out, but i live in a four plex ( i have a neighbour behind, diagonal and to the left of me, so don't have too much space. The current box is under the shelter of the roof, and is above the shed (it was as high as my partner could reach) I would like to encourage more birds in the area, and have more boxes, but what spacing do they need? I was considering asking my neighbours behind me if they would allow me to put a box where mine is on there house (so it would be opposite side) and asking the neighbour across from me to the right if i could put a box up there, the space between me and my neighbour (to the right) is about 3 cars (width). is this a big enough gap? Any info would be great, as i am currently in the process of re doing my garden so it will hopefully have flowers from jan- dec next year, and also i'm growing veggies too so will be plenty of insect life...i hope. Thanks Lucy
  • Hi Lucy,  All I can tell you is that Blue Tits are highly territorial and do not tolerate other birds who nest in close proximity so would suggest that unless you have at least 25ft distance to separate the boxes that you just leave it at the one box or else you could run the risk of not having any nesting birds in your nest-cam box.   If you have a neighbour who has a similar area to place a box and as long as it is a good distance away then perhaps that is a better way to do things.   Boxes ideally should be situated between North and East and a minimum of 2 metres off the ground (different for a Robin who nests closer to the ground)    birds will bring in their own nesting materials - as you have probably already witnessed from your successful roosting box.    Good luck and let us know how you get on come nesting season :)

• Thank you Hazel, I will just leave it to one box, as would rather have my wee blue tit than none, :) My wee tit hasn't been bringing in any nesting materials, but i'm hoping he/she will do and hoping to have my first "family" this nesting season. I will keep you posted when it comes to nesting season, i am very excited, I love to get up in the morning and watch my wee blue tit in the box for 10 mins before he/she goes out for the day.

Thanks again

Lucy