(several) questions about a magpie nest in my garden

• In reply to doggie:

Hi lancelot, as Doggie says if you remove nest they will only rebuild, and dont forget at this time of year all the songbirds are moving into their own territories, so may well be in someone elses garden, they are not usualy frighten of magpies, and are only warey of them when they have young, and will attack the magpies relentlesly. Alan

always many sides to an argument

• In reply to robin red:

Hi Lancelot,afraid that if you have small birds nesting in your garden you may find that the Magpies are vicious attackers of nests,eggs and young birds and you might find it a bad experience.

• In reply to Sooty:

Spoken like a farmer ? Alan

always many sides to an argument

• In reply to Sooty:

Hi Sooty, although I did put two nest boxes up as an experiment, neither have been taken up. I suspect that I live in too urban an area for them to really appeal. So no, I'm not worried about the magpies attacking nests, merely scaring off visitors to my feeders. From other comments already left, it sounds like I probably don't need to worry - I suspect the songbirds I'm used to seeing are just off building nests and collecting food in less urban areas outside of Cambridge.

• In reply to Sooty:

Here we go . . .

• In reply to Sunrider:

I've got a pair of magpies in the garden (also near Cambridge) and I've seen them bossing around some of the smaller birds but I have robins, blackbirds, tits, starlings, wood pigeons and spotted woodpeckers and they all use the feeders without seeming to be bothered by each other. Also have a sparrow hawk that comes around though, and that's a different story.

• In reply to doggie:

Hi Alan

Yes, I agree. I really hate to see the little birds get grabbed but all the birds are very beautiful to see so I feel very grateful to have plenty of wildlife in the garden. Thank you for the welcome :-)

• Magpies will take eggs and young nestlings of small birds.
    If you decide to cut the branch where the dome is built ( out of season) observe other branches that would provide a good "anchor". The clever architects have evolved a good eye for structural design.