(several) questions about a magpie nest in my garden

Hello, I'm a new RSPB member and a relatively new birdwatcher. My interest was sparked by the impressive array of birds that I'm able to attract to the feeders in my small suburban garden in Cambridge. I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions as I still don't know that much about birds beyond what I read in my beginners guide.

Basically, in the last few weeks a pair of magpies has set up a nest in a large tree that sits right over my garden. In one sense, this is great news, as I can see it from my bedroom window and I'm looking forward to watching these beautiful birds come and go.

However, at exactly the same time the number and variety of songbirds visiting my feeders has dropped off dramatically. So I guess my questions are:

(1) Is this dropoff likely to be due to the magpies? They certainly seem quite territorial, and scare off the wood pigeons and collared doves that come to my bird table. However, I've never seen them take any notice of songbirds, and sparrows still come to my fatball feeder. But the long-tailed tits no longer do, and I hardly ever see the chaffinches, greenfinches and great tits that regularly frequented my seed and nut feeders. Are they scared off too, or are they just not around now due to being busy preparing to breed and/or because of an upturn in wild food?

(2) How long will the magpies use this nest? Do they raise multiple clutches in one spring/summer? Do they abandon their nests in the autumn or will they return year after year?

(3) Obviously, I'm not going to touch the nest this summer, but if the magpies are scaring off other birds, would users on this forum recommend / not recommend removing the nest in the autumn?

Thanks so much for any help answering my queries. It is much appreciated.

Parents Reply Children
No Data