BLUE TITS ATTACKED BY SPARROWS

Hope someone can help!!

Sparrows have attacked my blue tits nesting box they have removed and destroyed 4 of 8 eggs. They are stopping the blue tits from going back to the nest box. Does this mean the eggs remaining have died? How do I stop the sparrows from attacking the nest box? Please help it was very distressing to see broken eggs.

Many thanks

• Hi Chris. I have never seen sparrows do this and it is not a happy thing for you to see, but there is nothing you can do. It is nature. We don't see sparrows as a norm in our garden but for the last two years they have used three of our blue tit boxes. Sparrow numbers have been falling for some years ,so all I can say is enjoy them and be happy that you are helping the sparrows, if they choose to use your boxes.

• Hi Chris,

It sounds as if the Sparrows are taking over the nest .It also sounds to me that the entrance hole is too big.We had Bluetits nesting for several years back home and the Sparrows never interfered with it.Sadly, it is nature and i can understand why you are upset..All i can suggest is that you check the size of the hole It should be no bigger than 25mm.

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 30/04/2011 19:04 in reply to Brenda H

Hi Chris and welcome to the RSPB Forum.  Enjoy yourself here

I have to say I have not heard of Sparrows attacking Blue Tits before so it is a new one to me.

As Brenda has said, enjoy the Sparrows that you have as they are on the decline in many parts of the country.

Luckily, we have them in Bedford, and they give us hours of entertainment without any fights with other garden birds.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Unknown said:

Hi Chris. I have never seen sparrows do this and it is not a happy thing for you to see, but there is nothing you can do. It is nature. We don't see sparrows as a norm in our garden but for the last two years they have used three of our blue tit boxes. Sparrow numbers have been falling for some years ,so all I can say is enjoy them and be happy that you are helping the sparrows, if they choose to use your boxes.

• Thanks for all your replies.  Problem now is the blue tits and sparrows have gone.  The nest box still has 4 eggs inside. We really miss seeing the blue tits. It is a real shame that the sparrows got rid of the blue tits, and they have gone too.  One nest box available for rent !!!!

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 02/05/2011 02:25 in reply to chrisW

Hi ChrisW

I hope that all is mended in the nest box over the couple of months and that your box is used once more

Let us know if there is any other further news of your occupants if and wehn they arrive

If not next year will hold the key once more as to what bird occupies your box once more.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Hello
    I live in Kinross and have just noticed two sparrows trying to get into our Bluetit nest box but fortunately they cannot get into the nest box.

I have checked the nest box and there is one egg so far and have noticed the bluetit has returned

I appreciate that its nature and it has to run its course but I would be interested to hear from anyone else with the same situation.

Regards Neil Thain from Kinross KY13 9LU
  • We have bluetits nesting in our box but noticed today sparrows going to try and get in. The blue tits we think were trying to fledge. We then saw a sparrow actually pulling out a bluetit but fortunately  the blue tit was able to fly away. It was not good to watch. 

• christine French said:

We have bluetits nesting in our box but noticed today sparrows going to try and get in. The blue tits we think were trying to fledge. We then saw a sparrow actually pulling out a bluetit but fortunately  the blue tit was able to fly away. It was not good to watch. 

It is mid April so too soon for blue tits to be fledging. It will be approx the egg laying or incubating time. I am afraid sparrows do this with any species of similar or smaller size. Happens here with house martins. Unless the hole is made too small for them, it will happen wherever there are sparrows. As the poster a few years ago wrote, it then often ends up with no one using the box. Sparrows take over nest sites, regardless of whether they intend to, or end up, nesting in it. My tip is to put a metal plate over the nestbox hole.

• I've just watched my birdbox camera footage from today and the same as happened. There were 5 blue tit eggs today but a sparrow has been in and taken them all. Thanks for the tip about hole size. I will maybe add one of the reducing plates tomorrow although difficult to know if it's best to interfere or not.

• Very frustrating, esp if it's a declining species like house martins. My betting is the sparrow won't nest in your nestbox.