Red Kite distribution

On about 22nd March whilst visiting Chester Zoo we saw a large bird being attacked by another high in the sky. It looked like a Red Kite but as far as I know their distribution does not extend into Cheshire.Have there been other sightings in this area and does anybody think that the picture I took is a Red Kite?

• Hi Ingu

I've lightened your photo a bit and you can see the rusty coloured plumage and the light patches on the underside of the wing. That, plus the forked tail makes it definitely a Red Kite.

According to BirdForum Red Kites have been seen in Cheshire but only occasionally. It is suggested that they may come from Wales or possibly the reintroduced birds in the Lake District.

Where I live in Berkshire they are a daily sighting and are fabulous to watch.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• Wow, did you take that photograph TJ, it is awesome, the detail amazing, no it's got to be a professional surely?

Lot to learn

• gaynorsl said:
    Wow, did you take that photograph TJ, it is awesome, the detail amazing, no it's got to be a professional surely?

Yes, Gaynor, I did take it and no I'm just an amateur with a decent camera. They fly over my house which helps a lot. LOL

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• There are so many good photos on this forum it is such a pleasure to browse.   Keep posting everyone please, one day, maybe......my camera will be updated!

Lot to learn

• Fantastic photo Teejay and it must make it easier if you don't even need to leave your house:-)

• Hi
    Just to report a red kite sited this morning 8.30am from my garden in Weston Crewe. No pictures to show . But I do know my bird of prey. It was a beautiful site to see. My post Code for area location CW2 5LJ

Regards Phil
  • Red Kites have been seen a numerous times in Cheshire including a local reserve I visit (Woolston Eyes)  and also much further north in Lancashire - Leighton Moss rspb have had sightings of Red Kite

Regards, Hazel 

• That's good to hear, Phil. They are being seen all over the country although sometimes rather localised. One of the most successful reintroductions there's been.

Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• This afternoon I am 99% sure I saw a Red Kite glide on the thermals over our garden. I live on the Staffordshire/Shropshire/Cheshire border - Onneley, Crewe Cheshire. (Not too far from North Wales really).
    It definitely was not a buzzard. It had the distinctive forked tail as opposed to the rounded buzzard tail. It appeared more ‘streamline’ than the ‘stockier’ buzzard. I noticed white next to the dark (finger) feathers under the wing. By the time I had comprehended what I was seeing I had missed getting a picture! I really hope to see it again, so I can 100% believe it!