Where have my sparrows gone please?

I've noticed my flock of 20 odd sparrows have disappeared it seems. No chirping. not seen feeding recently and I miss them! Do sparrows move just like that? Are they perhaps nesting elsewhere? will they come back?

Thanks! Would appreciate any ideas from other sparrow lovers!

• I like your reply! I have started looking over my neighbours fence to see if they've moved anywhere close! I'd better be careful or they'll think I'm a nutty neighour!

Will try with more seedy nibbles as Blackbird suggested

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 15/03/2011 15:06 in reply to Snapdragon

Good luck Snapdragon (and all other Sparrowless ones)

Pipit

• Unknown said:
    Good luck Snapdragon (and all other Sparrowless ones)

I think the sparrow problem here is that there are no keen gardeners around - there are 2 veg men, but I suspect they may be 'old school', i.e. spray everything to within an inch of its life - otherwise the gardens are vast areas of closely mown grass, apple trees in some cases but nothing much else - tidy and sterile seems to be the order of the day here -my garden will be a dreadful shock, I suspect - I encourage 'weeds' even plant them:-)) Still, there is the scrubby woodland and the wildlife park at the end of the lane but still no sparrows - deep, deep sigh:-((

• House sparrows have declined in many parts of the UK and their plight has generated lots of interest as it was not clear to why their numbers were failing.

A prize was offered by the Independent newspaper of £5000 for the person who came up with a clear scientific reason to why they were declining. This was awarded a couple of years back to Kate Vincent who found out that the lack of insect prey during the breeding season was preventing house sparrows raising healthy young.

The question is why have insects declined in urban areas? It seems that humans have changed the urban landscape dramatically in recent decades with many gardens lost under concrete and decking and many sparrow sheltering hedges removed and replaced with 'low maintenance' fencing. The over reliance of garden chemicals is also a worry for garden wildlife.

So what can we do about it? Well for a start have a look at our Homes for Wildlife pages which give lots of hints and tips about how to provide the ideal conditions for house sparrows, and other garden wildlife. If you can make sure that your house and garden provides suitable nesting sites, safe roosting places in trees, climbers and hedges, insect food through the summer, seed food through the year but especially over winter as well as places to drink and dust bathe, hopefully you will be able to tempt your house sparrows back in time.

House sparrows will be looking to nest during March so it may be those that have disappeared from feeders recently have begun to spend more time with breeding.

• Hello , I had lots of sparrows, then I noticed one day a hawk, but I thought I was wrong next time it landed in my garden I took a video as I’m no bird expert, and I found out it’s a sparrow hawk , they eat sparrows , and it may of scared all my sparrows off .