Where have my sparrows gone please?

I've noticed my flock of 20 odd sparrows have disappeared it seems. No chirping. not seen feeding recently and I miss them! Do sparrows move just like that? Are they perhaps nesting elsewhere? will they come back?

Thanks! Would appreciate any ideas from other sparrow lovers!

• It's interesting, but I hadn't seen sparrows around our house for years, then a couple of years ago there were two or three occasionally visiting the bird table.  This year there have been far more, perhaps ten or a dozen at a time, and they regularly hide in our firethorn making their cheery racket.

I've also noticed many more around the village, so I was thinking of asking if sparrows are at last on the increase.  But looking at this thread, maybe not.  Perhaps they've moved to north Bucks :-).

I did put up a 3 family sparrow nest box about three years ago, but no one has taken up residence yet.

• I had an abundance of House Sparrows during the Summer last year and then as the Autumn came they gradually disappeared :(

I hadn't seen one since until last Friday when 3 appeared - I have no idea where they've been or if they'll come back as again I haven't seen them since...?

It's a mystery but we don't appear to be the only ones...

My name is VeggieBirdLover and I am a bird feeding addict  :D

• Dear oh dear. It seems several of us are in the same boat.

Fickle buggers.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 15/03/2011 02:44 in reply to VBL

Hi Snapdragon

Sorry to hear that you Sparrows are hiding somewhere at the moment.

As with littleOwls thread about Sparrows on this Forum, we have a flock of the 'cuties' in our garden area

They are little cuties with bags of character and where would anyone be without them

I am sure that will come back to see you - maybe some more interesting nibbles might entice them back

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Nicki C said:

I am sure that will come back to see you - maybe some more interesting nibbles might entice them back

Nice thought Blackbird, but I provide every interesting nibble invented. It doesn't work!

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Susan H said:

Dear oh dear. It seems several of us are in the same boat.

Fickle buggers.

Whoevers got mine, could they please return them ASAP by courier if needs be - thanks!!  lol :)

My name is VeggieBirdLover and I am a bird feeding addict  :D

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 15/03/2011 03:01 in reply to Sparrow

Susan H said:

Nice thought Blackbird, but I provide every interesting nibble invented. It doesn't work!

[/quote]

I agree Sparrow

It's not just about what nibbles you provide in your 'garden area'.

They are fickle indeed.

Pipit

• Anonymous
    0 Anonymous 15/03/2011 03:11 in reply to Sparrow

Hi Sparrow

Wonder what I am doing then, that still entices them to my garden LOL

Still it might be that Sparrows colonies are well established in Bedford all year round, and that is how lucky we are.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Susan H said:

[/quote]

• Newby here

Interesting topic I have had the same problem, could always rely on at least 6-10 sparrows fighting over the fat balls. But they all vanished a couple of weeks after Christmas. I wondered if the very cold weather got them.

My Mother still has loads in her garden. just a mile or so away

Not a happy bunny

• Thanks for replying.

I will try some new titbits as you suggest! I'd been planning to get a three box nester over christmas , but unless I can entice them back that might not be necessary!

They say pride comes before a fall......I moved to this new house and was so proud to be clocking up at least twenty of these gorgeous little birds. I absolutely love their chirruping....and then their silence if you walk out on them!!

I shall persevere with more seedy type food.....lots of....mealworms perhaps.

Nicki C said:

Hi Snapdragon

As with littleOwls thread about Sparrows on this Forum, we have a flock of the 'cuties' in our garden area

They are little cuties with bags of character and where would anyone be without them

Regards

Kathy and Dave

Nicki C said:

Hi Snapdragon

Regards

Kathy and Dave