Missing Gold Finches

Five weeks ago I had never had a goldfinch in my garden, then a lone one arrived and I was so excited. He was soon joined by 4 others. These 5 came every day, several times a day, for about 3 weeks, and stayed on the nyjer and sunflower heart feeders a long time on each visit. They saw off the sparrows and weren't bothered by the starlings or bigger birds such as pigeons. Then we had one night of heavy frost, and since then only one comes infrequently and doesn't stay long. Those of you who get Goldfinches, can you tell me if this is normal? I am getting worried about them!

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Hi Sparrow,

there could be a number of reasons why you haven't had them returning.

They may have found another food source, the weather is still relatively mild so will be feeding on natural food supplies!

The other thing is albeit the Goldfinch is a UK resident there is large numbers that do migrate.

In winter many UK Goldfinches migrate as far south as Spain!

I'm sure you will get more feeding, they may not be your original birds!!

Keep watching out for them, don't get to disheartened my numbers have fell with only four - six birds.

I was getting 20-26 ay anyone time.

Regards Buzzard

Nature Is Amazing - Let Us Keep It That Way

• Went to a local RSPB meeting last night and the speaker was a bird ringer - he was giving lots of useful info about migrations. I must say that although I knew that lots of birds migrate (obviously!) I was surprised to find out just how many we think of as 'native' actually travel around quite a lot - including goldfinches and robins. Fascinating!

Make the boy interested in natural history if you can; it is better than games [Robert Falcon Scott]

• Thank you Buzzard and Cartimandua for your comments, and Buzzard for your suggestions that "my" goldfinches have migrated to warmer climes - but when we say birds migrate in winter, what do we mean by winter? I always assumed birds left us in the autumn and that by November they would have mostly gone. I never had any at all in the summer. The first I saw was in November. The last I saw of them as a group was 30th November, the day before the very frosty night. Surely these must be residents or immigrants to have been in my Lancashire garden on 30th November?    Or am I wrong?

I am still persevering with the nyjer feeder, which hangs next to one with sunflower hearts in it as they used both. I used to see them in next door's apple tree, right at the top, waiting to make sure all was safe before flying down, but once down they seemed to have no fear of the other much bigger birds that I seem to get, and were quite feisty with the sparrows.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• Hi Sparrow, sorry for any confusion with the term migration!

I mentioned that the may have migrated to sunnier and warmer climates, this doesn't necessarily mean abroad!

A lot of our resident birds migrate to different regions of this country, North / South, East / West.

In Britain, the Goldfinch is a partial migrant, with some birds, mainly males, staying here in winter but others migrate in September, October and November to winter in Belgium, France and Spain. Females usually migrate more readily and for greater distances than males.

I would say as to the winter months can be anywhere from Sep - Apr.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards Buzzard

Nature Is Amazing - Let Us Keep It That Way

• Ahhhh now I understand ... my one remaining goldfinch is a male, and the others are now in Essex!!!!

Thanks for the explanation. It has helped.

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• We have 2 or 3 Goldfinch pairs in our garden every summer but I hardly see any in the winter.This is in Cornwall.

• Susan H said:

Ahhhh now I understand ... my one remaining goldfinch is a male, and the others are now in Essex!!!!

Thanks for the explanation. It has helped.

Fraid not Sparrow, they're not here in Essex !!  We have two that come in twice a year, once in spring and again in the autumn obviously passing through but haven't a clue where they go to in between.    Spose I could be wrong and they may be over at No 42 but I don't think so, all they get is a Bettaware Catalogue :)

• Kezmo, you are so funny!!!   They must all be in the North east in Buzzard's garden LOL !!!!!

Cheers, Linda.

See my photos on Flickr

• I have the same concern. Goldfinches have visited my garden in numbers for the last few years, through all the seasons, but all of a sudden this summer (2024) they have disappeared. It might just be coincidence but it seems to correspond with there being large numbers of sparrows that are have nested in my pyracantha bush.

• Sorry, not a reference to the name of the person posting the original question.