baby bird passed away. need advice

Hello. First timer here. I have had a birds nest above my front door for about a month and the babies finally started hatching about a week ago. I was out of town this weekend and came home to a dead baby bird on the ground below the nest. Very, very sad to see. The mama and papa bird are still sitting around its body and watching it. Why do you think they are staying and watching it? Are they in mourning? Or protecting its body? Just curious. Anyways, I kept peeking out the window and they have not left the bodies side in the last 24 hours. Breaks my heart. What do I do with the baby? Everyone I've asked says to put in a plastic bag and dispose of it. That seems a tad insensitive to me. I am VERY sensitive to animals and this is not going to be easy for me. I just feel bad that I am going to have to take the body away from the parents but also, its so sad to watch them just looking at it. Any suggestions at all?

• Hi, very sad to hear this. If the bird is dead, then you can simply remove it and bury it in the garden if you have one. Do you know the species?

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• In reply to monkeycheese:

I do not know the species but I made a little shoe box for it and while picking it up, I found another one that has died. I put them in the box together and am going to bury it. My guess is the nest was too small for all the babies so two of them got pushed out. So sad. It is hard to see but it looks there are two more babies in the nest. I think they are living but that explains why the parents were still hanging out around the deceased babies - because there are more babies that Dear God hopefully make it out of the nest healthy!
  • I'll keep my fingers crossed for the others.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• In reply to Alexis Tyler:

Species can often be identified by their nest. Because it's not typical behaviour, definitely worth posting photos of the deceased, the parents and/or the nest. As it's a week into July and as the nest location is very specific, there are very few species to choose from. If the adults are down with the dead, it also rules out house martin. Multiple young rules out doves and pigeons so I'm curious as to what is left to identify from.
  • Presumably the nest has failed now?