These Wood Pigeons (aka feathered vacuums) are doing my head in now! Help!

I’m at my wits end with the massive influx of wood pigeons coming to my garden now. They bully all the other birds and eat EVERYTHING. EVERY. THING. 
And now we are getting collared doves which are just prettier versions of the bird I can’t stand!

I don’t want these greedy things in my garden, but they‘re going away and bringing all their friends, and now I feel like I’m turning up to some illegal pigeon rave whenever I step into the garden as they all scatter like I’ve come to bust them, but then they return once I’ve gone. They’re costing me a fortune in bird food so the little birds can even get a look-in. 

I’ve tried the “pigeons hate chilli powder so put it on your bird food” trick. Doesn’t work. 

I know you get those ground feeder cages to only let the little birds in, but the rats will come too. I need something that stops them using my bird feeding station, primarily. 

If only that certain law wasn't brought in recently that’s allowed them to have an unchecked population boom. They’re out of control now. Far too many of them.

• There are "guardian feeders" that prevent anything starling sized or bigger getting to your hanging feeders, work well in our garden, the pigeons only eat what the finches and sparrow spit out
  • In reply to PimperneBloke:

Ohhh! Have you got a link for the ones that worked for you?

I still want the jackdaws to feed, so I might get some of those feeders you recommend and put one of our unprotected ones elsewhere up the guardian so the bigger birds can go crazy.
  • In reply to jellysheep:

guardian feeder This one worked for seeds (other vendors are probably available), and the RSPB one for meal worms/ suet pellets... looks like a little tub in a cage. Not cheap, but worked for us

• For some reason, the link is telling me the service is temporarily unavailable. Hope it’s back up soon so I can see.
  • PB's link worked fine for me, here it is again in different format ...
    www.viovet.co.uk/.../

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Ah. That worked for me now. Thanks! These look good. :)
  • At this time of year when there should be plenty of natural food around maybe try stopping feeding for a couple of weeks and your avian vacuums will go elsewhere. It sounds drastic but at this time of the year very little damage will be done.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• jellysheep said:
    If only that certain law wasn't brought in recently that’s allowed them to have an unchecked population boom. They’re out of control now. Far too many of them.

So you think that anyone should be able to control them purely on a basis of 'there are too many of them'?  There is only one species that 'too many of' applies to ........... and it's not a species of pigeon.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• In reply to Clare:

I absolutely agree that the bigger problem the world has is population control of our own species, with one big argument for this being due to the frustrating human-wildlife conflict situation. The original cull of a handful of bird species deemed to cause massive issues to farmers was allowed every January as I understand it, which was withdrawn only recently, and this national cull was something to do with them being classed as pests and because of a lack of natural predation (again, arguably a result of urban sprawl that’s knocked the ecology out of order). So humans have thrown the balance out in a lot of ways. Nobody can argue with that. But without that natural predation, certain things end up thriving that were never intended to thrive so quickly by either design or evolution, so this again keeps things out of balance. Not saying it’s right, only highlighting the effects that unchecked growth of *anything* has on ecological balance.
  • I was wondering what that certain law was Jellysheep that allowed an unchecked population of certain species.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can