So who raises the baby curlews?

I was recently told that once young curlews hatch the female then leaves the male to do all the hard work.  I thought this applied to dotterels - do curlews also behave like this?  And, does any other wader?

Many thanks for any help!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Hi Clare,    I believe the male does most of the rearing of chicks,  take a LOOK HERE

Regards, Hazel 

• Thanks, Hazy. I wonder if it's easier for the male because of his shorter beak?

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Clare Bailey said:
    I wonder if it's easier for the male because of his shorter beak?

Yes,  I'm sure the shorter bill helps with feeding;    I also wonder, like you do,  if any other waders are similar in their rearing of chicks.    

Regards, Hazel 

• I know the dotterel does. I was lucky enough to be at a talk by Iolo Williams a few years ago and he was most informative, with the dotterel standing out in my memory. Now, all I've got to do is try to see one ........ sigh.

• When is this system going to drop the b****y Bailey?

• I've never seen a Dotterel although there has been one seen at Conwy, N.Wales. We tend not to drive more than an hour away from home at the moment. One day we may catch up with one !

Regards, Hazel 

• That is definitely a very peculiar characteristic of this forum, Clare, giving people random surnames, and it is a complete mystery. Please try not to take it personally--it is probably some weird thing which crept into the software and it was left in due to a shortage of funds to correct it, or probably a shortage of funds all round!. From all the problems after the 'upgrade' earlier, some of us presumed that they bought the system at a huge discount! But unfortunately, I can't see many charities opting for the best system simply because the best ones cost too much. On the theory that 'the squeaking wheel gets the grease' you could make a nuisance of yourself and text or e-mail some bigwig in the RSPB every day until someone erases the 'Bailey', but then again they might just choose to ban you instead, and we wouldn't want that, having finally got you back online!

Kind regards, Ann

• I don't take it too personally, but every so often it comes up and I just think 'how b****y ridiculous'.  I suppose I should at least be grateful that the surname they've saddled me with isn't out of Potty, Fartwell and Knob!

• Unknown said:
    We tend not to drive more than an hour away from home at the moment.

We generally don't - but there've been some occasions over the last few months where I've felt it necessary to go further afield, if there's likely to be something worthwhile to try for.  The concept of Limpy getting frustrated and feeling restricted is a more frightening one than the risk of Covid.