Housemartins

Hi everyone

The is a Housemartins nest in the eaves across the road. I have become fascinated by these fabulous little birds and this has given me questions I should love the answer to if any of you would be so kind??

1. They often congregate airborne around the nest having obviously taken on food - but not all of them enter the nest site although many approach and then shear away. Why is this?

2. I have noticed that in the evening just befor dusk they often fly over a short distance in a tight group -, and suddenly they disappear!!  Are they roosting together in a nearby tree?? 

3. Do any of them actually live in the nest where the young are?

4. As they are still apparently feeding young at sept 1st, will this brood be strong enough to migrate to Africa in a few weeks and will they sleep on the wing during the journey?

Thanks in anticipation for any relevent info!

steve

• Welcome from me too Steve! A very interesting thread you have started and superb answers too! I'm amazed that so many birds can squeeze into those nests! 

• Hello Steve, I have been following your thread with interest. Thanks for starting it.

We are watching a few nests on our Bank's walls and they are still feeding their young.

• In answer to your question, Steve, that flock would have been made up of a number of family parties. Each pair of house martins have two or three broods a year, and lay 4-5 eggs each time. If each egg hatched and each chick fledged, there would be a maximum of 15 offspring from each pair. There is every possibility that 'your' birds were in the flock, but majority of the flock would have been birds from elsewhere in the village or even from further afield.

• Thanks very much for your thread Steve. All the replies are interesting and I was especially interested by the replies from Trochilus on roosting behaviour. I had no idea martins might roost on the wing! Also the idea of fledglings roosting with another family tickled me!

Andy

• Hi all,

I have just joined the community to ask a question about a little housemartins baby I have just found. You all seem very knowledgeable.

We have always had house martins nesting in the eaves of our barn, always really successfully and often two lots of babies each year. I noticed a few weeks ago they had babies in the nests again. Today we found a few bits of one of the nests on the ground and a baby just sitting on the ground under the nest. It definitely wasn’t there yesterday so maybe happened over night or this morning sometime. I wrapped it in a towel and popped it back in its nest. There are four nests all together and I think I got the right one. (The one with the most bird poo directly underneath!) I have been watching for a few hours now and there are 1 or 2 adults swooping past but none have come to the nest, there are other nests nearby, so they may be adults from those ones.

The baby looked quite mature, he has most of his adult feathers with a few tufty white baby ones poking out from under the wings. Have I done the right thing? Should I try to feed it or leave it until tomorrow? Will that parents come back to roost tonight? There didn’t seem to be any other babies left in the nests. I am just worried as I would have thought this was the time they are getting ready to leave the UK and this baby needs feeding.

Thanks in advance
  • Pleased to report, an adult bird came swooping down into the courtyard by the nests, did a few fly-bys and then went to the nest. Now, they are regularly feeding the baby. I am so relieved, I really don’t know what I would have done if the adults had not returned. Phew!