Robins' nesting in my extremely messy shed

Robins are nesting in my shed in my garden tool cupboard, which is low-level.  My shed is super messy, basically a dumping ground for old boxes, tools, paint equipment, bed frames etc .. and im really nervous the fledglings risk getting trapped in amongst all this stuff.  I cant open the shed door as the neighbours cat is constantly keeping guard on the roof of the shed.

I was wondering if it would be worth disturbing the birds and trying to throw tarpaulin over as much of my stuff as possible. so that if they land anywhere, hopefully they would just slide to the floor.  

Very much looking forward to receiving any guidance.

kindest regards

Louise

• I'll bump this up, but it may be better to do nothing, see what others say.

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• I would err on the side of caution and do nothing but keep an eye out. You will know when they have fledged and can search for any stray fledglings - better to lose one stray fledgling than risk the nest failing altogether through disturbance.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• thank you for your thoughts, thats hugely appreciated. Ive avoided going into the shed full-stop, since i realised the robins had nested in there. Which would in turn mean i wouldnt know if any chicks got into trouble :-(. Its a sort of no-win situation for the poor things! Of course the other tricky situation they are in, is that the parents are coming in through tiny gaps between the roofing and the brush walls .. meaning the chicks will need to be extremely accomplished fliers to get out of the shed once they are ready. Im not painting a very positive picture for them, am I ...
  • In reply to leafy211:

leafy211 said:
    thank you for your thoughts, thats hugely appreciated. Ive avoided going into the shed full-stop, since i realised the robins had nested in there. Which would in turn mean i wouldnt know if any chicks got into trouble :-(. Its a sort of no-win situation for the poor things! Of course the other tricky situation they are in, is that the parents are coming in through tiny gaps between the roofing and the brush walls .. meaning the chicks will need to be extremely accomplished fliers to get out of the shed once they are ready. Im not painting a very positive picture for them, am I ...

but i'm pretty hopeful that you will notice some fledling Robins appear and then you will be able to open the shed door in the hope thtany that didn't make it to the gaps will be able to get out. Though I'm sure mum and dad will help them out. 

----------

Cheers,

Bob

• Ahh i see .. Id have to stand guard as the neighbours cat is far too interested in them already. Fingers crossed! :-)
  • I agree with Bob.

Ultimately, most juvenile robins are exterminated one way or another. Cats will play a significant part in that because some UK public prefer pets to wildlife. You won't be able to stop nearby cats from getting to the robins. Keeping them out of the shed buys time. It is good that people care and do their best. That is all we can do unless the public grows out of cat ownership.
  • In reply to leafy211:

leafy211 said:
    Ahh i see .. Id have to stand guard as the neighbours cat is far too interested in them already. Fingers crossed! :-)

No, once you have seen that most have fledged, just open the shed door for a while and let any strays out. Once they have left the nest they won't go back so you don't need to stand guard. You can always shoo neighbours cat away - note that I said shoo, not shoot

----------

Cheers,

Bob

• In reply to Bobs_Still_Retired:

I have the garden hose primed & ready for the neighbours cat since she started to show an interest in the nesting Black Redstarts. I got her once & she hasn't tried again.

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• Water is always the quickest & safest cat deterrent ... I have large fairy liquid bottle filled with water & makes a good water pistol to shoot through kitchen window to scare off the neighbourhood moggies, they don't see it coming!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I have found cats run when they hear the window opening. Does mean water option is ineffective unless it's a nice day!