government alterations to wildlife and countryside act

hi people

i've just had this email i thought i would share with you..

On Monday, it was revealed that the government might scrap vital laws which protect wildlife and the countryside and help stop climate change. Hardliners have branded the rules ‘red tape’ and say they could be scrapped within months. [1]

We need to work together to make sure our wildlife, our countryside and our planet are protected.

In the past, David Cameron has made headlines promising to run "the greenest government ever". [2] We need to convince him that scrapping these laws would be a disaster for his reputation. A huge petition will prove to Cameron that he can't afford to break his green promises.

Please take 30 seconds to speak up for legal protection for wildlife and the environment:
http://www.38degrees.org.uk/dont-scrap-environment-laws

Among the laws under threat are the Climate Change Act and the Wildlife and Countryside Act. These aren’t little-known laws that no one cares about. The Wildlife and Countryside Act protects wild birds, their nests and eggs, and makes sure that national parks and marine reserves are protected. The UK’s Climate Change Act was a world first which helps make sure we reduce our emissions. [3]

We know that when we work together we can make sure the government doesn’t get away with plans which could hurt the environment. When they decided to try to sell off our forests, over half a million of us got together and convinced them to drop their plans. [4]

The government says it is "consulting" before scrapping these laws - so let's give them a consultation response they can't ignore! Please help make sure we have a huge petition telling the government to keep laws which protect our wildlife and our environment.

Sign the petition to send a powerful message to David Cameron and the government:
http://www.38degrees.org.uk/dont-scrap-environment-laws

at the minute i havn't gone into it to see whats involved so i dont want to start an arguement among members it's just for information

alan

• I do not believe this is the purpose or proper use of this forum!

• thanks for the heads up doggie, i think this is relevant to the forum but i suppose the moderators are the decision makers here

heres an article from the guardian which gives a bit more info

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/apr/17/environment-green-laws-red-tape

cherwell, we had quite a thread going on the sell off of national parks and forests here recently, as doggie says if you report the post the moderator will see if they think it is within forum remit or not

regards

Izzy

• Morning Doggie

Sorry Cherwell I disagree i believe this is a perfect place to raise awareness of any change in the law  that will have any effect on our bird life and there protection  Is it not a RSPB  forum ?

Thank you doggie for bringing this to my attention I will look into further 

Kindest regards Kimbo

Feeling More Positive :-)

• Sorry to shoot you down Cherwell but this is just what the forum is about,to pass on info and help people.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Wendy S said:
    Sorry to shoot you down Cherwell but this is just what the forum is about,to pass on info and help people.

Indeed it is! I'm with Doggie and the rest on this one Cherwell. If you can't bring Green political issues that are likely to affect our wildlife, our countryside, our birds and our lives on to this site then that is a very poor show indeed.

Have signed up Alan, thanks for the alert:-)

Kezsmum

• Hi doggie

Thank you for bringing this to our notice.

I also think this thread is relevant to the Community.

In fact if I had noticed it, I would have put it in the Wildlife Protection forum rather than the Tea Rooms (anything else) forum as it is particularly pertinent to that topic.

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• Thanks doggie, I've just signed.

The forum is a right and proper place for bringing such things to the notice of it's members. Where would the birds and all the other wild-life be if the environment is not protected? History has shown that we can't leave it to the politicians, they can't be trusted to do the right thing, so it's up to organisations like the RSPB, like 38degrees, to alert the public to proposals to change the law, and raise support for a greener environment.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever.

• Unknown said:

i put it here because i didn't know what reaction it would get...when the mods see it and if they deem it ok maybe they can move it

Be surprised if they have any objection,good move reporting yourself to the mods,I reckon they will be open minded about it

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Unknown said:
    i've reported myself to the mods so they will have a look

Doggie, I didn't even know you could report yourself to the moderators.

Best wishes Chris

Click Here to see my photos

• We are happy for this thread to continue as we feel that the potential scrapping of the laws that protect our wildlife and habitats is a matter of high importance to everyone involved with the RSPB and anyone who cares for nature in the UK. As you can see below we have already spoken out in the media about this. The letter below from Mark Avery was sent to the Guardian in response to their coverage of the story.

Dear Sir

The decision to review all of Britain’s environment laws will make millions of us red with anger rather than convince us that they are simply ‘red tape,’ (Environmental campaigners angry as green laws labelled as red tape, The Guardian April 18th).

Legislation such as the Wildlife and Countryside Act helps guard places like national parks, marine reserves and the wildlife that lives within them. If abolished, such places would be unprotected.

We are talking about much that is great about England – our seas, our woodlands, our rivers and our wildlife.  And our wildlife is already in trouble – ask any water vole, skylark, large blue butterfly or cuckoo.

The RSPB hopes that the self-styled ‘greenest government ever’ sees sense and doesn’t put environmental safeguards up for grabs.  Nature around us would become even more threatened and our lives diminished as a result.

Mark Avery, RSPB Director of Conservation

Warden Intern at Otmoor.