Corvid cull looming

Please see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/8286034/Magpies-and-crows-to-be-culled-to-protect-songbirds.html

This is bad on an epic scale.  A hugely undesirable precedent, interfering with natural processes on the basis of bad science (or no science at all), a tiny pressure group apparently driving the agenda, and no apparent action by the authorities to, at least, explain what is actually going on (though the Telegraph might have missed it).

This is indeed a black day for biodiversity.

Every day a little more irate about bird of prey persecution, and I have a cat - Got a problem with that?

•  

Link

Read this after the above.

LInk

It's both what you do and the way that you do it!

You cannot fly like an eagle with the wings of a wren.
    William Henry Hudson (1841 - 1922)

• Thanks for links. Though I fail to see the relevance of your second link to this thread.

I can only assume you meant to post it in the wildlife crime section.

• Kezsmum said:

No, you're not sorry at all. You're rather proud of it I suspect. Me, I'm one of those 'little old ladies' you were patronizing yesterday, although I'm not even remotely 'sweet'. The only answer is to skip over your posts, ignore you completely and eventually you'll get bored.

And so say all of us!

Regards

RK

Let not your heart be troubled

• mpiekp said:

Link

Read this after the above.

LInk

Cannot see the relevance in links,dogghound talks rather silly about something he/she could not describe i.e intensive farming being the cause of songbird losses.These people always churn out the same old intensive farming is the root of all bird problems and absolute rubbish it is.Everyone of us is guilty almost without exception in several different ways,one example being you surely do not think all the pollution from modern transport has no affect surely

Fact is farming has been getting more as he describes it intensive for a thousand years and in actual fact is less intensive than 30 years ago.

The other link seems to do with raptors and think this thread deals in corvids.

• Unknown said:

Please see http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/8286034/Magpies-and-crows-to-be-culled-to-protect-songbirds.html

This is bad on an epic scale.  A hugely undesirable precedent, interfering with natural processes on the basis of bad science (or no science at all), a tiny pressure group apparently driving the agenda, and no apparent action by the authorities to, at least, explain what is actually going on (though the Telegraph might have missed it).

This is indeed a black day for biodiversity.

The proposed cull by the Song Bird Survival Charity is a ploy to encourage the killing of 'game bird' predators and nothing to do with song birds who as we know are decimated by cats, barn restoration, industrial farming practice and hedge row removal. Use the net to spread the word and stop the cull!

• davidbinos said:

I think you will find if you bother to read the user policy for the community it nowhere says that ex members or non members of RSPB are not allowed to join or post.

Agreed. And I'm a non member. Bet that one surprised you! ;)

davidbinos said:

Why do you assume that anyone who goes against the party line and challenges misleading statements, bad science, and double standards is a troll. Any person concerned with the facts rather than propaganda should be open and able to debate the issues.If you are so sure of the rights of your stance, then enter the debate and prove your point.

As I said before David, FACT.....

"A recent scientific review of the way predatory birds impact on songbirds, commissioned by SongBird Survival from the British Trust for Ornithology largely exonerated crows, magpies and raptors from causing songbird population declines.

"Our own and other reputable scientific research suggests that intensification of farming practices and other land use changes, encouraged by the Common Agricultural Policy, have driven the particular declines of farmland bird species across the UK and more widely in Europe".

Frank.

Scottish landscape and nature photography by Frank Baird - http://www.focushighland.co.uk

• Unknown said:

Thanks for links. Though I fail to see the relevance.

The first link is linked to more for the links than the content which is mainly opinions but there are links and quoted paper of value.

the second link is not in the wrong section, the vice chairman is proprietor of mentioned estate, and therefore his want to decimate corvids to protect his ground nesting gamebirds, the faux songbird crusade is just to gaib public interest. As there are gains to be made by him, I cannot trust his motives.

It's both what you do and the way that you do it!

You cannot fly like an eagle with the wings of a wren.
    William Henry Hudson (1841 - 1922)

• Dulaich said:

A friend of my wife has a petition against this appaling cull running here..... http://pixiepaj.com/wildlifevillage/?page_id=782

Please sign.

Just bumping up the link to the petition again (maybe we should have it posted somewhere?).  In a related manner, the Magpie and the Crow photos on the petition are mine :o)

There's a lot of information and opinion being shared on this thread and a lot to take it.  I wouldn't possibly know where to start in constructing a reply - especially since my thoughts have already been said by other members.  

To finish with I just have one thing to say - THIS IS BAD!

• Good morning Frank

"largely exonerated crows, magpies and raptors from causing songbird population declines."

As I am sure the G&WCT research one will find.

• davidbinos said:

Good morning Frank

"largely exonerated crows, magpies and raptors from causing songbird population declines."

As I am sure the G&WCT research one will find.

Good morning David.

I think the G&WCT research has already found that.........

"On farmland over the last 50 years, there have been widespread population declines of many songbird species. Some, such as skylark, tree sparrow, corn bunting and cirl bunting, have experienced more than 50% reductions in abundance, distributional range or both. Many of the declines took place between the mid-1970s and the mid-1980s.

The declines have been associated with a drop in productivity or survival linked to agricultural change. For instance, winter food supplies of seed-eating birds on arable areas are much lower now than previously because of generalised herbicide use, loss of mixed farming and an emphasis on autummn sowing of crops."

Taken from http://www.gwct.org.uk/research__surveys/species_research/birds/songbirds/default.asp

So I still don't see the need for the cull to go ahead.

Frank.

Scottish landscape and nature photography by Frank Baird - http://www.focushighland.co.uk