Shooting of Gulls

Hello everyone - I'm new to the forum so not sure if this is where I should post this so sorry if I've made a mistake.

I am a member of the RSPB and witnessed an incident today that has left me feeling distressed and wondered if anyone had any advice on who I should contact to report this - if indeed I can. 

On the business premises across from my office today there was a man shooting gulls. I understand that gulls do nest in the roof of the property there but surely this cannot be legal? The man arrived in a van with a high viz vest carrying either an air rifle or a shotgun. The birds were dropping from the sky. This must be inhumane as some of the birds may only have been injured. I tried calling the RSPB but as was after 5.15pm theye were closed. Can anyone advise if I can make a formal complaint about this or is it the case that businesses can hire "hitmen" if they feel their property is being damaged in some way? Many thanks for your help. 

• I realise it's late at night so I apologise if I do not respond to any replies that are made tonight - I will log back in tomorrow - I will also be phoning the RSPB again if I can. Thanks everyone.

• I some areas gulls are culled because they are causing a nuisance often in tourist areas.This is sometimes caused by people feeding the gulls.It may be they are shot under general licence which I understand is legal.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Hi Sheila S

I have tagged your post, so that the RSPB Moderators see it. (I am not accusing you of spamming - it's just that the same mechanism is used! )

I found a link to the General Licence which Seaman refers to, in a previous thread about gulls - here  (thanks to JBNTS)

It's more restrictive in a number of ways than Seaman has suggested - for example, it appears that only one species of gull (Lesser black-backed) can be legally killed in any circumstances, and then only if there is a hazard to public health or safety. This assumes you are in England, different rules may apply in other parts of the UK, so it would be helpful if you confirmed where this is happening. Anyway, the mods will be able to provide you with more specific advice.   

If the shooting is taking place in a populated area, then conceivably firearms legislation might be relevant too. How "built-up" is the area round your office? 

• There wouldn't be any harm in contacting the local police station and raising your concerns (ask if there is a wildlife officer you can speak to).

It is possible that they haven't done anything illegal, even if the species shot were not covered by the general licence, it is possible that a licence has been issued and all requirements were complied with. Licences, including the general licence, do not allow gulls (or any other birds) to be culled to prevent perceived damage to property, or to prevent 'noise nuisance' though, as Sue C has said, the reason for the cull would have to be to remove a public health and safety risk.

• Thak you all for replying and for your advice.

Sue C I appreciate you letting the moderators know. I am in Scotland and our office buildings are situuated in a business park - there are no houses near to where this man was shooting but of course all the office buildings are occupied. I did read that licences can be obtained but as you have all stated, they are usually only issued to remove a public health and safety risk.  

Of course I dont know if the gulls are causing a health and saftey risk on that particular business site - it may well be the case.The company that owns the building are a publishing/printing company and I have been told that they use animal by-products for glues etc so of course the gulls are being attracted because of this.

I was just not sure where to turn in a situation like this. As you said RoyW I think perhaps a call to the local station would be the best option as they could then find out from the business owners exactly what has been agreed.

It was not a very nice sight to see nine or ten birds falling from the sky and not knowing if they were killed outright or lying injured on the ground.

I think if I see this happening again I will call the police station just to see if someone can come out. I also thought about calling the SSPCA as I know they have visited our site regarding a gull with a broken wing on one occasion.

Thanks again for your help everyone and I will keep you all updated.