North East pheasant releases

I'm new to the website and starting off with an old problem. How many pheasants are released into my local area every year?

I'm currently studying with the Open University and looking at the effects pheasant releases have on local ecosystems.

I thought this would be difficult, but didn't realise how difficult as there doesn't seem to be any information on this particular point. I have found a little on releases in the south, which is a start, but clearly not perfect.

I have found the Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust useful, but still very little on the North East. I know there is hunting in the area as I can see the birds everywhere and hear the shooting on clear days.

I wouldn't say I'm totally against shooting, as I feel there is a lot of woodland that might not be there if it wasn't for the shoots, but I feel that releases of birds on the scale they are should certainly be recorded and the information made available. Without this it's impossible to make an informed decision on the matter and we have to leave it to others who are given the information.

If anyone has any constructive comments on this subject, which I have seen can get sensitive sometimes, please reply or message me. I'd be very grateful for any help.