Springwatch 2013

Springwatch 2013 begins this evening and will run for the next few weeks, coming live from the RSPB's Ynys-Hir reserve! Tonight will feature Otters, Wild Boar, Dolphins and Red Kites and there are some really interesting nest cameras including a Buzzard and a Water Rail nest!

We'd really like some great discussion about the show, any feelings, thoughts and general chat regarding it so please use this thread as the place to discuss!

I'm really looking forward to it, especially after a great bank holiday weekend when it really felt like spring (at last!)

• Might do Alan, but am here more in a moderators/official role than to promote my photography! Just having a BBQ but may get round to it later! But I am glad you like them!

• Looking very forward for tonight's program :-) hoping for some more inspiration for some birds and what better than to start with buzzards and Red Kites :-)

Colm Photography & Nature http://www.flickr.com/photos/colmrw
  • Fantastic so far i'd say, amazing Otter footage, great to see the Buzzard and Water Rail nests but I personally love the Jackdaws....very underrated birds!

• Thoroughly enjoyed tonights show, was really interesting! Now I know why there's so many snails in my garden lol... Interesting about pond life, as I have a wild life pond with resident frog in, which I'll try to get pic of and post it up on here!

Lovely display of the bird fishing for his "potential" mate, then she scarpers!!

Cheers, Jason

• Really enjoyed tonights Springwatch too, so many interesting topics tonight and I loved the magnificient Osprey and hope Monty gets his girl  although it sounds like he does from what they promise on the next show and maybe more than he bargained for !     Also interesting about the Jackdaws,   we had one Jackdaw being quite persistant early this evening re-visiting the Nuthath nest several times, that was after G.S.Woodpecker also had a go at the nest yesterday and again today  :(   the poor Nuthatches have had to repair their nest in the Oak branch three times and was working overtime tonight to protect their nestlings,  bless !

Regards, Hazel 

• As usual the camera work was brilliant especially the macro stuff.Personally I do not like the idea of humanising the birds with names but that is just me.It seems prevalent on raptor site these beautiful birds deserve better but I suppose it keeps people interested.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Really pleased everyone enjoyed the show, and that's just the start! I thought the Ospreys were great, its a really interesting story!

Camera work brilliant, the macro studio excellent and some interesting current debate on spring and the state of nature report which you can find here: www.rspb.org.uk/.../index.aspx

Cannot wait for tomorrow night now!

• Yes Ben it makes quite frightening reading.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• forgot to record it, is it on any sort of iplayer?

• Unknown said:
    ...........................and some interesting current debate on spring and the state of nature report which you can find here: www.rspb.org.uk/.../index.aspx

What debate ??? Chris Packham repeated what many of us have already seen both in the newspapers and on this website. At one point he said something about "supporting us". I thought he was going to announce some initiative to make politicians sit up and take notice , but no , nothing.

This report has been brought up in several posts and blogs here on this site. Frankly I'm stunned at the complete lack of responses those posts received. This should be the hottest topic these forums have ever seen. The obvious conclusion is the great British public don't give a sh*t.

My gallery here

Checkout the forums' Community HOMEPAGE for lots of interesting posts from other members.