Springwatch 2013

Springwatch 2013 begins this evening and will run for the next few weeks, coming live from the RSPB's Ynys-Hir reserve! Tonight will feature Otters, Wild Boar, Dolphins and Red Kites and there are some really interesting nest cameras including a Buzzard and a Water Rail nest!

We'd really like some great discussion about the show, any feelings, thoughts and general chat regarding it so please use this thread as the place to discuss!

I'm really looking forward to it, especially after a great bank holiday weekend when it really felt like spring (at last!)

• I think Chris was very keen to try to encourage the public to get out and see what's out there. He's very interested in getting kids involved and just try to encourage folk to get off their back sides or away from computers and TV's. In the retail business there's plenty of wildlife accessories and things to help wildlife. What's difficult is trying to get folk interested and hopefully springwatch will start a spark and see what "summer wildlife" brings.

Cheers, Jason

• Hi Galatas,

I do completely understand what you are saying, it wasn't fully in-depth but you have to remember it was the first show, it cannot be all doom and gloom or they may lose viewers for the remaining 3 weeks, it also acts as a way of introducing the site, the star species etc so I am guessing the amount of time speaking about the SON Report had to be limited.

Hopefully in future episodes more will be discussed, Chris has a very good article online speaking about this so he clearly feels extremely passionate about it, you can read this here: www.guardian.co.uk/.../britain-paradise-lost-hope

In relation to your last comments lets not get too despondent, fortunately the communities page is alive with discussion but you have to remember the report is not out there in every bodies hands yet and is quite meaty, its hard to have discussion without first reading the thing!

The communities are a place for both serious and fun discussion, its understandable that whilst everyone is behind the report and understands its seriousness its hard for most people to know how to act on it or what to do next, this doesn't mean they don't care. Rest assured over the next few months the RSPB will be doing its best to show people how they can take small steps to help wildlife as a way of reacting to the findings and in turn we will be taking as many larger steps as we can to tackle the bigger problems!

• More from Chris Packham about the State of Nature report here: www.bbc.co.uk/.../The-ugly-the-bad-and-the-good

• I think that perhaps the crucial point is that while we can all do our little bit, it will take political will and large scale ecosystem managment to radically alter the situation. With money currently tight and governments possibly more influenced by other parties in the debate (ranging from agribusiness to EU policy), I don't see drastic improvement any time soon.

"Let loose the Kraken!"

• Thats exactly it Stuart, if we all do our own little bit, all these little bits added up will surely count for something. There are challenges ahead, but together, lets see what we can achieve.

How awesome are those Bass rock Gannets on Springwatch right now!

• The gannets are wonderful, I've watched them fishing off Cape Cod. Yes, we can make a difference. Just being a member of the RSPB, paying our dues and lending it our numbers to give it political influence really, really helps.

"Let loose the Kraken!"

• Oh lucky you. Cape Cod sounds amazing.

• Another good spring watch. I liked the toads trying to get to the pond. Shame some get killed by man, yet again. And the poor Dunnock, nature is definitely cruel at times.

Cheers, Jason

• Toads are pretty amazing aren't they? Despite the trials they face, they are very determined creatures. I did feel so sorry for those Dunnocks, but at least those chicks weren't wasted and were food for some young weasels.

• I never knew how lazy the male toads were by hitching a lift on the female! I'd love to have a toad in my garden, I think they eat slugs? But I do have a frog so I'm happy. Yeah poor Dunnocks, her brood seemed very healthy!

Cheers, Jason