A Rare Vagrant Visitor - Ring-necked Duck

The weather has improved but only slightly over the last few days, this enabled me to get out and about even though it was very cloudy, dark and freezing cold.

So armed with my camera and a positive frame of mind I visited Cowpen Bewley Woodland Reserve.

The Ring-necked Duck was still on the main pool, I still hadn't been to see if I could spot him after my encounter with dozens of twitchers a few weeks back.

Male Tufted Duck in the foreground

Female Tufted duck in the foreground

Another Bird Tick as this was the first time I have ever seen one.

Regards Buzzard

• Gee, thanks Buzzard. your brilliant photographs will most probably be the only time I will ever see one. I even had to look it up, to find out about it.

• Wow Buzzard, he's beautiful. I have a soft spot for ducks, but have never seen anything like him before. What a superb set of photos. Thanks for posting them.

• Hi buzzard,

Nice set of photos,I've not seen one of those before.

• Great photos Buzzard and may I say well spotted as, at first glance, there are a lot of similarities with the tufted duck. Definitely one where close scrutiny is needed.

• Squirrel B said:

Great photos Buzzard and may I say well spotted as, at first glance, there are a lot of similarities with the tufted duck. Definitely one where close scrutiny is needed.

Squirrel you are so right.

I got talking to another guy who new it had been sighted weeks ago, he also hadn't been to see it.

We spent about half an hour scanning all the Tufted Ducks before I spotted the Ring-necked duck. The grey flanks were what stood out.

Once we had noted the differences, he did stand out from the Tufties.

The guy that I was with was a very keen photographer and was using an 18 mega pixel canon camera and a supa - *** lense. The kit cost him over 10K (at which point I passed out :-{ )  but the quality of his photo's were stunningly brilliant.

He also shared his vast knowledge on using the correct settings for your surroundings, which I was totally grateful for!

I explained that I'm not one for reading manuals when it comes to electrical devices, and that I was relatively new to digital photography!

Regards Buzzard

• Hi Buzzard, I'm glad the rich photographer (LOL) was so generous with his knowledge. I generally find that most are helpful - it's only the odd one or two who seem to think photography techniques should remain a closely guarded secret. Hopefully you may meet up with him again there sometime as you have like interests.

• Hi Buzzard

Lovely shots of your Ring-Necked and Tufties.  I can understand how difficult at first it must have been to spot it. 

Don't suppose you would want to pass on the knowledge that this man gave you do you ?  Reason I'm asking is that I went to Minsmere yesterday for a day out.  Never been before and was overcome how beautiful it was.  I took lots of photos of different duck species on the water which at first I thought were pretty good, it was only when we got home that I realise the shots were'nt really at all.  Alot of it had to do with the light.  It was a bright sunny day, I'm not moaning at all but it's reflection on the water made it difficult to really see what was out there.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 18/02/2010 17:58 in reply to Kezmo

Hi Buzzard

Love your pictures - they are really lovely

The Ringed Necked Duck looks so similar to the Tufted ducks - the length of the neck is the only difference I can see from the pictures.

A great discovery for you Buzzard and a well deserved tick on that list {lucky, lucky ....you}

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Great photos, Buzzard. Your photographer friend's advice worked a treat.

The differences between the Ring-Necked and the Tufties are so subtle that I don't think I would ever have spotted them. I shall take a renewed interest in Tufted Ducks on my local nature reserve in future - well you never know!

• Unknown said:
    Don't suppose you would want to pass on the knowledge that this man gave you do you ? 

Maybe we should start a thread on general photographic advice. I am top of the list for needing this. I didn't even know what a megapixel was until I got my new camera on Saturday, and I'm still not sure!!!