I went for another walk today (October 13th)

I went for another walk today

Up there again? 

Well, it is my favourite walk. Slight smile

October 13th - I was actually drawn back by that tree, the all-you-can-eat buffet tree.

Chilly rings a bell, I'd only just got out of the car, grabbed an extra layer when I heard singing in the trees next to the car park.

Now, I've noted this as a Mistle Thrush but I'm not too certain, anyone?

And so, off up the same track as always. I'm constantly telling myself to cross the dam and walk the other side but...... just can't do it! 

Anyway, up to that tree! 

A young male Bullfinch this time tucked away behind a few branches but fairly visible.

He was happily munching away at the berries and keeping an eye on me below.

Over on the other side ...

What looks like a very full young female.

She definitely looks like she's eating her fill Laughing

I also spotted several Song & Mistle Thrushes and Blackbirds flitting to and fro, waiting for me to clear off, so I did.

Now. I've been walking up here for around two years and in that time a new 'road' has been opened up by the forestry folks, there was a huge amount of storm damage all over NE Scotland a few years ago and they'd started the work of clearing all the felled trees up on the hillside here. The road started out as a rough forestry track for the felling and recovery vehicles but was slowly upgraded to a decent road to allow the collection trucks up there as well. 

Believe me, you really will not enjoy meeting one of them on the local U roads! Scary stuff, hence I take it pretty steady on these roads, unlike some.

That was my route today.

So, I climbed a good steep incline and came across a ranger sorting out his quad vehicle, we stood and had a natter about his job, mostly at night. His role was emphasised by a young red deer stag lying in the flatbed of the quad. It had wandered into the managed forestry area and that's not allowed.  

I'm not going to get into the rights or wrongs of it but in my opinion, they were here first. 

So, I often talk about the first gate, about 1.5 miles up the usual track. (I've been scouring my photos looking for a shot of this track)

So this is looking down at the reservoir and the first gate. I often stop just to the right of this shot where a pine has fallen over a burn and birds gather to bathe and drink. 

Looking ahead to the hills in the background through the storm damaged tree line; I'd be heading down between the green trees lower left and those bare trunks later on.

Another fact I may have mentioned during this thread is that my original draw to this walk was Crossbills, I've had some fabulous experiences with them up here but, hadn't;'t seen any since may this year until I heard a different call from the treetops.

At last, Crossbills, a male and a possible female lower down. I was SO chuffed to see them, no surprise that they're harder to find now with all this forestry work going on but at least I now know they're still around. Thumbsup

Not great shots but I had to get some evidence, just for myself! 

They flew off into trees further down my walk and luckily, I caught sight of them again. Bear in mind they are way up in tall pines, that are on a hill rising above me! 

There are two females in that shot, believe it or not 

I've also discovered that there are a lot of variations in colouring in these beautiful birds, yes, males are rust red, females yellow/green and young grey mottled but wow, what a variation of shades there are! No wonder there's debate about Parrot Crossbills, Common and Scottish Crossbills. If I'm totally honest, I'm not bothered, I just love being allowed to see, photograph and sometimes get close to them.

That was it. They were off.

I was now near the crown of this walk, a first for me, I explored a branch of the road that leads off down into the next glen, another time, then turned but to complete my loop.

I'm constantly scanning everywhere on these walks, especially the sky of course ...

A lovely Buzzard cruised by. I'm always looking out for Goshawks up here but I've never knowingly seen one ..... yet.

My walk got a bit messy and a bit dodgy as I reached the end of the logging road, still under construction and ended up stepping carefully around, through and over bits of semi-felled pines, I reckon you could do yourself some damage walking this part but, eventually came back out at the top of the reservoir and onto my usually path, back towards the car park, a couple of miles hence.

I spotted this female Mallard and a scattered group of them in the corner but a small whitish bird kept flitting around just off the shore.

It was only from the photos that I realised it was a young Black-headed Gull, right?

Just seemed a bit out of place here but, who am I to question? 

As I sauntered on along the straight, back towards the first gate, I'd passed through the second, I spotted something way out on the water ..... a Diver?????

Nope. A female Goosander. They're up here quite often and more may start appearing now.

Still, another new one for this time of year, hadn't seen them in ages.

Remember the shot of the first gate from above? There's a fallen pine next to it?

The fallen pine had a young Dunnock posing on it for me. I think I've taken this shot before? Thinking

I had to grab the shots quickly as a young lady was walking towards me with a wee black curly fluff-bundle bounding up to me and I didn't think the bird would stay........ it did!

This can be a lovely spot as I've said before, a true candidate for the folding chair and a snack.

I've seen and photographed quite a few species here including the Crossbills.

So, I wandered back to the picnic bench, sat and watched the Coal Tits feeding on the bin lid, then carried on back to the car park

Just before the car park ...

Looks like a young Grey Heron to me, guarding its very own rock? 

The area it is standing on is usually well below water, there's time and weather yet 

Final shots of the outing

A Cormorant grooming on the tower, this is a usual roost for them.

And so to the car, remembering to stop my watch / steps, stop my BirdTrack, send my "on my way" text, which doesn't go anyway and off.

Until next time Wave

PS - I found a wee video of the area when I was about half way up the hill.

And another! At the end of the forest part and before heading out onto the regular walk.

Wave