A Rare Vagrant Visitor - Ring-necked Duck

The weather has improved but only slightly over the last few days, this enabled me to get out and about even though it was very cloudy, dark and freezing cold.

So armed with my camera and a positive frame of mind I visited Cowpen Bewley Woodland Reserve.

The Ring-necked Duck was still on the main pool, I still hadn't been to see if I could spot him after my encounter with dozens of twitchers a few weeks back.

Male Tufted Duck in the foreground

Female Tufted duck in the foreground

Another Bird Tick as this was the first time I have ever seen one.

Regards Buzzard

Nature Is Amazing - Let Us Keep It That Way

• Unknown said:
    Don't suppose you would want to pass on the knowledge that this man gave you do you ?  Reason I'm asking is that I went to Minsmere yesterday for a day out.  Never been before and was overcome how beautiful it was.  I took lots of photos of different duck species on the water which at first I thought were pretty good, it was only when we got home that I realise the shots were'nt really at all.  Alot of it had to do with the light. 

Hi Kezmo, I will be more than happy to pass on any info that may help!

If you can forward the details of the camera and lense you are using , we will see what we can do!

Regards Buzzard

• Nicki C said:
    The Ringed Necked Duck looks so similar to the Tufted ducks - the length of the neck is the only difference I can see from the pictures.

Hi Kathy, yes the neck appeared much longer.

This was only noticable when he had a stretch, the grey and the white peak on the flanks was more prominent with the naked eye!

His head shape is slightly different more pointed than a Tufted duck and he has no tuft!

The white ring behind the black bill tip shows he is a true Ring-necked Duck.

• Super shots Buzzard! Great to have him with the tufties for comparison!

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr