Cannock Chase

Hi just wondered how many of you have ever been to Cannock chase? I live 5mins away & go nearly every weekend.  Last week within the first 30mins I saw: 12 fallow deer, rabbits, loads of redwings, 3 kestrels, goldcrests, bullfinches, a nuthatch, 8 goldfinches sitting around a puddle, & loads of great, blue & coal tits blackbirds crows magpies etc..also heard a sparrowhawk & a greenwoodpecker! It's really nice this time of year if you go to see the deer. The best place I've found for seeing the deer is an area around a place called freda's grave, you can find it on google. There's also some feeders for the birds & great photo opportunitys as the great tits come rite up to you. There is also a few visitor centres with feeders. It's worth a trip there anytime of the year, we can spend all day there :) there's also plenty of picnic spots by the pools etc. There is loads of wildlife there buzzards nightjars owls foxes badgers snakes etc....
  • Sounds great Nisus! Somewhere I've been meaning to get to for a while as I would estimate it to be about an hour away! Perhaps in the new year!! :-) Have you got any pics?

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr

• You have certainly done an excellent advert for it Nisus. We haven't been there but have noted it as a place to visit.

• Hello.

That's an excellent post about Cannock Chase, Nisus.  It sounds like a fabulous place.  I've never been there but it's certainly a place I'd love to visit one day.

Paul.

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• Yes, I'd absolutely endorse Nisus' advert for birding in Cannock Chase. As well as the abundant 'common' birds Cannock supports important populations of some heathland specialities including nightjars, woodlarks and woodcocks. If you fancy seeing this kind of thing I'd encourage you to check the FC website to get wind of any organised walks - that way you'll tap into their local knowledge and can be assured you won't stray into places where these sensitive ground nesting birds might be disturbed. We also recently ran some deer rut guided walks in Cannock in partnership with FC which were all booked up almost as soon as we advertised them, so there's another potential activity you could check out when next autumn rolls around!

• Hi marjus yes it is a great place to go it's so big & so many places to go to over there. Where about in Shropshire are you? I can get from Cannock to Venus pool in about 45mins so you probably are looking at about an hour to Cannock chase. I have got lots of video footage from the chase, deer, birds etc But no photos yet as I'm still working out what camera equipment to buy as it's not going to be cheap so I want to make sure it's excactly what I want. I just film everything I see at the moment but I have seen so many opportunitys for great photos so my next purchase will be a camera:)
  • Thanks Colin, will look up the events for the new year! Not seen any of those species before so it would be great to have the opportunity!

Nisus, I live in Shawbury, so about 30 mins from Venus but only about 20 mins from the M54 so I guess an hour would do it! Good luck with getting the photo gear! Always a lot of deliberating to do but I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you go for!

"All weeds are flowers, once you get to know them" (Eeyore)

My photos on Flickr

• That sounds good colin. I haven't seen nightjar or woodlark yet, saw woodcock before. I knew they did something to see the nightjars not done that yet though. Marjus shawbury so your right by the river Severn then? It's nice around there, I travel around a bit with my job(plasterer) so am over Bridgnorth Shrewsbury Newport Market Drayton Telford etc..quite a lot. As for researching camera equipment I mite start a new thread:)
  • Although Cannock Chase isn't at all far from here I have never been!  After reading your post about it I'm going to have spend a day there.

Are there any specific places you recommend for first time visitors?