I went for a walk today Pt. 2

September 6th 2024

So to continue with my walk, I was really happy with the short session at the bushes with the Dunnock and young Chiffchaff, I could have stood there for ages, the Coal Tits were all over those bushes but moving away so, I headed on up the trail.

OK, one last Chiffchaff shot. It really was just going about its business and ignoring me while keeping a wary eye on me.

As I was walking, I was keeping an eye on the water to my right, I've seen Black-throated Divers up here quite often and I've been hoping they might breed but, they disappear completely ....... well, when I' m there anyway. No surprise really, there are more people around at this time of year and kayakers, paddle boarders etc. would discourage them completely Disappointed

I did see a few ducks, which looked like Mallard but one female seemed to have a very large bill.

I wondered if it could be some other visitor but the more I look, the more I think she's just a Mallard Disappointed

I did spot a Little Grebe near the flock of ducks, they're always very people shy.

Maybe I need to invest in a portable hide and bag of patience! 

Onward.

I wandered down to the shore, see if I could sneak up on the Grebe, no chance, just scared some ducks away.

There's a secluded patch, behind some trees where I discovered a little village of Fly Agaric last year and lo and behold, it had re-appeared.

Not quite as many as last year but there's still time.

Aren't they beautiful but deadly of course, well at least sick making. 

I carried on towards an open area where a different set of birds can be seen, there's also a fallen pine over a burn and I often get birds quite close up, when they pop out of the water after a bath. That could be mis-interpreted!!! 

None this time though but I did see a bunch of butterflies and hoverflies at the Field Scabious

This one was really camera shy so apologies for all the bum pics Laughing

I also found another clump of 'shrooms, I'm no good at ID'ing most of them but I put them on iNaturalist and someone often responds with an ID.

There's a gate at this point and I often use that as my turning point if the weather is a bit iffy but not today, it was roasting.

So on I went, wild eh?

This is a very grassy area, with grazing on one side and wild grasses and young pine on the other. Meadow Pipits are very common here although way fewer this year than last Disappointed

This one stayed on the path in front of me for ages before taking off into the grasses.  I've had a lot of luck this year with Whinchats in this area. (Later)

Movement caught my eye on my left, up towards the trees ....

A Buzzard, they're pretty Common Wink up here and I'm surprised if I don't see at least one on my walks.

I've been watching skeins of Canada Geese flying over in the evenings recently, headed here or the other reservoir just down the road and there was a gaggle of them enjoying the peace on the water.

I was almost into the corner and by the second gate now but had noticed quite a racket up in the tree line.

So I'm going to end Pt. 2 on that note "gronk"! They were the start of an amazing experience for me today so, I'll save that for another day. I haven't edited any of the shots yet, only two! Wink