Another year, another Mull visit

Limpy and I made it to Mull again this year - it was just what we needed after a bit of a challenging winter.  I'm going to dive right in and show the stars of the visit first, though I'll be adding to the thread as I get through the (large) quantities of photos I took!  Here we go:

Enjoy!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• i love robins said:

Fabulous photos Clare were you on a boat again when you took the eagle photos  ? 

Yes, though it had stopped (thankfully).  This year was easier than last year as it was less windy.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• That would have been a great help keeping a steady hand when taking your photos. Love the Puffin photos as well so nice when you can photograph them at close range. Thank you for sharing your photos Clare they are really fabulous.
  • WOW!

Those puffin pics 'ave just blown the bloomin' doors orf.....

OK, a Michael Caine twist, but they are stunning.

regards

John

• Thank you for sharing your holiday photos with us. Clare, they are absolutely amazing. Puffins I have yet to see, really have to make the effort. RSPB at Dunnet Head is only 25 miles away! Hope Limpy is doing okay?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Great photo's, amazing how close you were. Only ever seen them at a distance...
  • Loved all of them, Clare! What a great time you had!!
  • Our first day in the island (or off it!) didn't just involve eagles:

Very sadly the black guillemots didn't come any closer to me than last year!

There was the usual herring gull presence following the boat .......

....... and looking good doing it.

As determined as Limpy, and then some!!

The common gulls joined the pursuit

A gull so pretty even Limpy likes it!

This particularly cheeky gull demonstrates its gift for kleptoparacitism.

The circling eagle wasn't impressed!

The gull gets a grip and flees at warp speed.

A common seal with a youngster.

Two of many shags posing on the rocks.

One of a few gannets out and about.

Finishing with a lovely rock pipit - I didn't get this from the boat but later that afternoon, on our way to Tobermory.

• A nice selection Clare, a wonder the gull could take off...
  • Stunning set Clare, I left it too late to book the boat trip from Ulva Ferry, but then there was a cancellation, but I couldn't get a ferry to Mull because of the CalMac shenanigans, so ended up taking a different trip, which despite being in horrible rain and mist was successful for seeing one of the eagles, so a real up and down set of feelings!!
    Re: The Black Guillemots, I think I saw somewhere that they are often seen, and nest, in Oban harbour (but I didn't see any when we were there, but then again I didn't know they were there so didn't look ;o( )

Thanks again for sharing your fabulous pics
  • PimperneBloke said:
    I left it too late to book the boat trip from Ulva Ferry, but then there was a cancellation, but I couldn't get a ferry to Mull because of the CalMac shenanigans, so ended up taking a different trip, which despite being in horrible rain and mist was successful for seeing one of the eagles, so a real up and down set of feelings!!

Oh, blimey.  I'm glad you got out but sorry to hear about your problems with the ferries.  I'm assuming you tried using the Oban-Craignure route as I know there have been considerable problems this year.  We've always used the Lochaline-Fishnish route and have since learned that's the most reliable one.  Taking that ferry, though, means we also use the Corran ferry across Loch Linnhe - and that has been out of action for part of this year  We were very lucky - we used the Corran ferry on Tuesday last week, and it broke down again the following day!

Glad you like the photos.  I need to get on with the next set shortly.